Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up a salvage title bike to work on over the winter, but the bike in question has no key with it, how hard are these to track down, would I have to buy a whole new ignition, any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Take off the helmet lock(you might have to brake the lock part with a bolt cutter to do it). On the back side of it there is a number. That is your key code. A knowlegeable Kawasaki dealer can make you a key from that. But be warned. Two of the idiotic dealers around here told me that they didn't know anything about a "code" or how to use it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, not really worried about whether or not it runs, in minnesota i'll nothing to do for the next few months but tinker, besides if I can score an 05 with less than 1500 miles for a great price ill take the chance

·
Registered
126 Posts
best bet would be to buy an ignition on ebay that comes with a key. then get a locksmith to make the helmet and gas tank lock to match, those locks are much easier and cheaper to fix

·
Registered
161 Posts
scoring an 05 with less than 1500 miles...heh ive got an 06, with 2000 miles now, and ive only had it a month. so good luck with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for all the input, but with the bike I mentioned, the auction end tomorrow so I called the place that was selling to ask a few more specific questions before bidding. turns out the front rim and fork are slightly bent, I've heard mention of swapping 500 parts to a 250 for a better suspension; would that even be possible here or would it be better to replace with original parts. thanks a bunch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so it turns out all the kawasaki dealers up north here know nothing of the code on the helmet lock to make a new key, one guy tryed to sell me a $200 full ignition and lock set! yeah right, looks like im going to have to pull the ignition and bring it in to a lock smith, only $40 there. im not going to get it done until next week so if any of you know of a dealer thats knowledgeable enough to save me the hassle that'd be great, otherwise i'll just spend the $40, thanks, will

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pulling the triple tree out isn't too bad unless the forks are locked. Then it takes some hammer and proper motivation to get it removed. Only reason why I know this is I lost my only key and had the forks locked. After pulling the tree, I found the key. Make sure you get a copy or 4 just in case...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will definately have numerous copies made once I get one, probobly will stash one somewhere sneaky on the bike too. I do that on most of my cars and it paid off once, thirty-five miles north of anywhere minnesota and no cell reception.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.