Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
There is probably no subforum for it yet because it wasn't officially released until about 10 days ago. There are a few threads discussions about it that are active. Try searching Ninja 300 and you should find something that may help.

Here's one http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?p=2760591

Sent from outerspace with the motorcycle.com app for space shuttle.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Don't think there should be a Ninja 300 sub-forum, as I feel it's similar to the ZX6R/636 situation which is combined into one sub-forum. Not that the 250 and the 300 are the same bike, but it may save some space here.

The last thing we need around here is another sub-forum that a bunch of people can use to ask the same questions over and over again just so we can read from elitists here to use the search function..over, and over, and over, and over again.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Search, noob!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think I am the only owner of a 300 on here, have any questions for me haha :)

Personally, I think they should make the 250 a 250/300 forum, since its actually still a 250 in other parts of the world.. The are similar, but not the same like everyone keeps saying... But i would say similar enough to make a 250/300 sub forum..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes CBSDEL, I have questions: 1) What is the oil filter no? Is it the same as the filter for the 650r? 2)Do you have to remove fairings to get to the spin on filter, and if so, is it going to be easy to do or a pain like on the 650r? 3)Does your manual say when the first valve adjustment is? Is it like 7200 or 7800 miles like on the 250r? I ask because that is a major expense because of all the labor involved. On the 650r it's 18,000 miles for the first valve check. I hope they extended it out on the 300r. 4) Is the intial break-in period like 5,000 rpms and if so, how fast is that in 6th gear? Thanks

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,795 Posts
The 300r's engine is the same as the 250r's engine with the exception of a slightly longer stroke and fuel injection... So I'd imagine they're not going to radically change the oiling system, valvetrain, etc.

And as far as the sub-forum goes that question came up a lot when the 2008 250r's came out and the forum does just fine as is. I don't imagine there to be a need for a separate 300r sub-forum until/unless they radically redesign the bike so it is nothing like the 250r's

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I did read the 300 went to a spin on oil filter. I would assume it's the same as the 650 since almost all of Kawasaki's sport bikes and Yamahas and Hondas use the same filter.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Oh, that 5,000 rpm initial break in thing is complete bullox.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think I am the only owner of a 300 on here, have any questions for me haha :)

Personally, I think they should make the 250 a 250/300 forum, since its actually still a 250 in other parts of the world.. The are similar, but not the same like everyone keeps saying... But i would say similar enough to make a 250/300 sub forum..
I expect you to have a 'how-to' written for every imaginable mod for the 300 by this time next week. Sucks being the first. Get started.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, I agree, but I do neither the factory recommendation, nor a hard break-in but something in between so that by the time I get to 500 miles I am riding it like I intend to, but for the first 50 miles I keep it down to 4000 or 5000 rpms, whatever they recommend. I have 2 650r filters left over from my old bike, so I guess they will work. Triumph uses the same filter for all their bikes too. Makes sense. Got my filters, got my oil, got my stands with the right size pins. I even got room in my garage...now what am I missing?? Oh yes, a bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are correct there is a spin on oil filter, it is off the front of the crank case right behind the headers. You could easily change the oil with the fairings on, but you will want a stand. With the angle of the side stand your oil would drip down the crank case and land on the down pipe of the exhaust.

The only flaw I seen is I dont like the idea of maneuvering around the HOT exhaust to undo the filter.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
The headers will not stay hot for very long, only a couple minutes after you shut the engine off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I expect you to have a 'how-to' written for every imaginable mod for the 300 by this time next week. Sucks being the first. Get started.

There are no mods available haha

I did remove the front reflectors, and I have a universal fender eliminator kit on order, but it has yet to ship out..

Other than that I am waiting on a set of adjustable levers for my wifes 250, so I will see if those fit the 300..

I still need to compile a list of the front bulbs so I can convert them to LED. No reason to do the tail light as I will get a complete LED tail light when they are released.

There is one 194 bulb inside each headlight, not sure why but I am trying to decided on which color bulb I should put in there. Right now its just a white 194 bulb, I was thinking it might look good if I put orange ones in the because it will look like parking lights on a car?? I just dont know yet though..

·
Registered
293 Posts
You probably won't need a stand then to change the oil. Here's a trick. Loosen the filter, but don't take it off. Then put a 2 by 4 under your kickstand. That allows the bike to stand almost upright but still a little toward the kickstand. Now you can take off the filter and the oil will go pretty much straight down. Don't bump your bike and knock it over though. BTW, this is the best way to place the bike on the rear stand as well. Use a 2 by 4. Then when you put the bike back down, same thing. Allow the bike to drop down and the kickstand will again rest on the 2 by 4. It's so much easier than trying to hold the bike as you place the rear stand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts