Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 zx6r about a month ago and i had a problem on my way to the beach this past weekend. I was on the highway and my bike started to bog. Figuring i had run out of gas i switched it to reserve and nada. Opened the cap and rocked the bike but the tank was bone dry? I know that the petcock itself works because when its on off it doesnt supply any gas to the carbs but how could it go dry when in the on position. Any help with this is greatly appreciated that 4 mile walk sucked!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Apparently the main pickup tube (for the "On" position on the fuel tap) can sometimes snap/fall off inside the tank, leaving you with a pickup tube which is flush with the absolute bottom of the tank, resulting in no reserve function.

The main pickup tube extends about 3 or 4" up from the bottom of the tank. When the fuel reaches that level, the pickup can no longer supply fuel to the carbs and you have to switch to "reserve". The pickup for "reserve" is almost flush with the bottom of the tank, so it can still deliver fuel after the fuel level has dropped below the main pickup tube.

I'm not sure how you can check if the tube is still attached properly, but I could easily see the main pickup tube in the tank (when it was low on fuel) on my '95 ZX-6R. I guess if you can't see a tube, then it's probably fallen off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.