Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my 03 Ninja 250R cranks over, but won't start all the way because it still isn't getting any spark at all. I have done the following already:

- Replaced Battery
- Replaced Spark Plugs
- Replaced Ignition Coils
- Cleaned Carbs
- Drained Gas Tank and Refilled with Fresh Gas
- Checked All Fuses

All the lights and accessories on the bike work and it cranks over easily, it just won't start all the way. It's definitely getting fuel and gas, just no spark when I did the spark plug test. Any idea what's wrong or what I should check next?

History: My friend was riding the bike and he said it started to suddenly lose power, so he thought it was out of gas since it was fairly low at the time. He pulled over at a gas station and got more gas, but after he shut it off, it wouldn't start up again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks :) It's raining right now, but I'll go and try to find it when it stops or tomorrow. How can I tell if the IC Ignitor is broken? Should I just check the ground wires and make sure everything is grounded?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Break out the DVM and check voltages. Gonna use OHM meter to check switches also.

"Circuit notes" on kkims diagram is good place to start :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hate electrical problems:mad: I would rather try to fix anything mechanical than chase electrical issues. I feel for you man.:(

·
Registered
836 Posts
Remix919- do you have an ohm meter/volt meter to do the troubleshooting?

Looking at the diagram, make sure the black/yellow wire from the battery is making a good connection to the ignitor.
Hope he does! Might get by with a test lite.....

Like kelly mentioned, pin 2 for ground on cdi.
pin 1 & 1 for +12(key on).
coils for +12(key on - engine stop on run).
Pin 5 needs ground to start(combo of things for this, just have in neutral).

Check crank trigger, disconnect it(key off). Check between black & yellow, should be 100 - 150 ohms. Also check both leads to ground, should be open(no ground).

If all that stuff is OK, its probably a bad cdi (IC Igniter).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remix919- do you have an ohm meter/volt meter to do the troubleshooting?

Looking at the diagram, make sure the black/yellow wire from the battery is making a good connection to the ignitor.
Hey, yea, I have an ohm/volt meter as well as a test light. I'm not extremely familiar with vehicle eletronics, but I build custom PC systems as a living so I'm fairly good with electronics :)

Btw, thanks for all the help everyone! I'll be sure to keep everyone updated and post the final solution in case others have a problem similar to this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope he does! Might get by with a test lite.....

Like kelly mentioned, pin 2 for ground on cdi.
pin 1 & 1 for +12(key on).
coils for +12(key on - engine stop on run).
Pin 5 needs ground to start(combo of things for this, just have in neutral).

Check crank trigger, disconnect it(key off). Check between black & yellow, should be 100 - 150 ohms. Also check both leads to ground, should be open(no ground).

If all that stuff is OK, its probably a bad cdi (IC Igniter).
Can I use a test light to test those items or do I use the voltmeter? And to test, I just put the positive end to the pin and then ground the negative end somewhere and check voltage?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Can I use a test light to test those items or do I use the voltmeter? And to test, I just put the positive end to the pin and then ground the negative end somewhere and check voltage?
I would use the volt/ohm meter to do the checks. Clip ground lead to a well established ground point, then touch positive lead on the test point for the reading.

To find a good ground point, use the ohm meter and check that the ground point you intend to use is close to 0 ohms with respect to battery neg terminal. For a ground point, any bare metal nut, bolt, etc. would be best.
What he said :)

Your gonna need an ohm meter to check the crank trigger. You could use a test lite for the +12's & grounds, just have to have the test lite clip hooked to battery + or - depending on what you were checking for the lite to light.(IE: neg of batt checking for +12's / pos of batt checking for grounds)

Should be able to stick the probe into the connectors with its wire in place. Last resort would be to stick probe thru sheath of wire(if probes are sharp).

Good luck! Hope its something simple ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, I'm actually about to go do the tests right now, I was going to do them yesterday, but somehow my voltmeter was broken and I had to go get another one. I'll let you guys know shortly how the tests went.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remix919- have you checked the fuse located right on the coil? Tonight, while working on my bike, I noticed my 08 has a fuse right on the coil located beneath the gas tank support bracket. Sorry for the crappy pic, but it's the red thing in the middle of the picture.

If your coil is the same way, you might want to check that fuse if you have not.
I don't have a fuse there, but I have one that looks like that on the right side above the main fuse box. I already checked it and its good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All wires checked out OK. Only thing I didn't check yet is the crank trigger? How do I test that or where is the wire for it? Also, just to make sure, I was supposed to check those wires with the plugs d/c from the CDI, right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts