Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
I have a 2004 EX500 that I just started after 8 years of storage. Tail light and brake light don't work. I don't know if they worked when the bike was put in storage. How do I troubleshlot this? What should I look for?

Head light works, and all blinkers work.

Many thanks!

Oardila

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Start at the fuse/relay box. It's also quite possible that vermin have chewed up your wiring. I'd remove plastics and inspect.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi all
How do I troubleshlot this? What should I look for?
troubleshloting is pretty tough. :) You might try troubleshooting instead. It's easier for the novice.

DO you have a multi-meter?
Check for 12v at the bulb with the brake pedal/lever depressed.
Check for continuity of the bulb itself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Change the bulb first it's the cheapest option they dont always look blown but you might as well change it. Then check fuses, then check the switches however I can imagine that your foot pedal and hand went out at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Did you look at the bulb?
Good point. I always overthink. You know what they say, "When you hear hoof beats think horses, not zebras"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Start at the fuse/relay box. It's also quite possible that vermin have chewed up your wiring. I'd remove plastics and inspect.
I checked the bulbs. They seemed fine. I am not Getting any current to tail light. The reason
I did not check fuese is because I dont know where they are on this bike. This is the first time I own/work on a bike. Will look for the fuse box and check fuses. Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts