Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, for the mods.
jet kit, slip on exhaust, new air filter...thats all.

the symptoms:
bike rides fine through my neighborhood, 25-35mph, 1st and 2nd gear, no prob. on the main road 3rd gear and higher when my speed gets above 60mph all the power is gone. i can twist the throttle all the way and no change in revs. so i pull off back into the neighborhood, goin slow again, and its fine. get back on the gas and it tops out anywhere from 60-80, starts puttering, zero power and speed is decreasing.

i've removed the carbs, cleaned everything in there according to my manual. installed new fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, drained gas put new gas in, new plugs, oil change....nothing is helping!

any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
justin

·
Registered
262 Posts
There could be many possible reasons for the issue you are having. You mentioned a jet kit. You could have the wrong sized main jet installed. That would cause poor running or no power at higher speeds. I would go back to the stock sized main jet. The 96 ZX6R either has an aftermarket bolt-on (you may think a slip-on), which usually requires no rejetting or a full system that does.

If the bike is jetted properly, then the problem can range from a faulty coil or timing issue to something less serious. Did you do the mods or did you buy the bike with the mods? Did it ever run properly at higher speeds?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the bike for over 2 years now, the previous owner did all the mods. It used to run like a bat outta hell, but this is a recent thing.

My manual has a section about testing the coils, which i did with a voltmeter. not sure if i did it correctly, but i got the same results on both coils.

I took it to a shop and they said it was a fuel issue, thats why i put a new pump and filter on it, no change. i'm just tryin to get it fixed so i can sell it!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Somebody beat me to the vacuum hose idea. :p

Could be fuel delivery as well. (hoses, pump, carbs, filter).

You mention its fine in 1st and 2nd. Does the problem happen if you rev to a certain RPM or does it happen at a certain speed MPH? You should be close to redline at 60MPH in 2nd gear.. Does it pull all the way through the RPM range in first and second?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its hard to say speed vs. rpm. At about 4-5K in 3rd gear, maybe 60mph or so it will happen. If it is occurring and I open the throttle up there will be no change in rpm. I've noticed it in 2nd gear once, just going really slow in town I felt it putter a bit.

1st and 2nd gear feel fine, I would guess thats the case because the torque is pretty good. idk

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Had a similar problem with mine. It was right under the gauge there's a filter that goes into the ram air tubes. I had one end off of mine and it ran just like you're describing. Look carefully...I'd check this before pulling the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.