Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a crunching noise from the front end under braking on my 02 636. It sounds like something a bit loose that is moving under the weight transferrence.

I'm going for a ride on Sunday and want to try to fix it before going mountain hopping. I'm doing an oil change tomorrow so I'll have the fairing off. What do you think is the likely suspect that needs to be tightened?

Thanks in advance!

Cailith

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i had this same problem...your steering stem nut is loose or the bearings are buggered up...

It was causing this weird clicking/crushing sound under heavy braking and it was also causing my front end to act weird at high speeds when I left go of the handlebars.

You can test this out by suspending the front end (there cannot be any load of the front suspension) and the grabbing the forks by the front wheel and pushing back and forth, if there is "slop" then that's your problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions

this post here

/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6385

is related to this issue and explains how I suspended my front end...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"You also may hear it by holding your front brake and pushing back and forth very hard on the bike. "

I couldn't really hear it doing this, but mine wasn't that bad, so if it's worse this might work....

I could however see the stem moving slightly when I held the front brake and rocked back and forth...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it definitely seems like the steering stem nut is loose. I'll give an update later on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.