Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noise from gas tank when bike is off! After riding and turning off the bike and letting it sit the gas tank will make a whining sound every 10-20 seconds. The whine lasts about 5 seconds. It seems like gas fumes are being forced out the gas cap. WTF? This is '03 636

Sorry for flooding forums with this but it kinda worries me if my gas tank is faulty

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is totally normal. I had a YSR I was working on in my basement one year that did it. I took me weeks before I figured it out what it was.

Faerge[}:)]

·
Registered
159 Posts
gas exspands in the tanks and its air from inside seeping out the rim.
if you ride alot and in hot wether good thing to do is open gas cap for a sec when u stop ull here a whoosh of air come out or a silte
pup .its normal:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
My zx9r, 6r and gpx250r have all done that as has my mates zx6r. Its fuel vapor. Ive seen fuel come out of the tank of my mates zx6r on a hot day when it was sitting in the sun!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yea, it is just expanded gases in the tank trying to escape. (Like a pepsi bottle when you first open it) It does this A LOT on HOT days.
Just pop the cap every now and then to release the pressure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah what I usually do when I hear that whineing sound is stick the key in the hole awhile, and get out a lighter, Then light the lighter right near the hole, and then turn the key!

:D j/k [:eek:)]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it still normal if it does this for an hour or more? Also if I open up the cap and then close it back up it will start back up.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
In addition to the vent hose on the bottom of the tank there is a little vent hole in the gas cap itself. That's the one that makes the noise and it is normal. If a little gas come out it is an indication that you have filled the tank too full.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.