Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got my first bike a week ago, 1987 250 ninja and im putting it in storage very soon. Ive read many things about storing your bike all over the internet and have got a pretty good idea what to do. But im going to have alittle trouble with getting to the spark plugs, since my bikes an 87 id have to remove the whole front end and the gas tank which im not 100% sure i could do, i dont have my bike lience yet so i cant bring it to a shop, but how bad would it be if i didnt clean the spark plugs and put fogging oil into the cyclenders? Is there another way i could put fogging oil in besides removing the carbs or taking the gas tank off? Another thing is my fairing has a few cracks on it and im worried if i take it off i might make it worse... Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
So i just got my first bike a week ago, 1987 250 ninja and im putting it in storage very soon. Ive read many things about storing your bike all over the internet and have got a pretty good idea what to do. But im going to have alittle trouble with getting to the spark plugs, since my bikes an 87 id have to remove the whole front end and the gas tank which im not 100% sure i could do, i dont have my bike lience yet so i cant bring it to a shop, but how bad would it be if i didnt clean the spark plugs and put fogging oil into the cyclenders? Is there another way i could put fogging oil in besides removing the carbs or taking the gas tank off? Another thing is my fairing has a few cracks on it and im worried if i take it off i might make it worse... Thanks for your help
While removing the plugs and spraying in a little oil before storage is sometimes recommended, I doubt many people actually go to that extreme for short-term storage over the winter. That would be something I would only do if the bike was going to be stored for a year or more. Hopefully, unlike my '08, you have an "off" position on the fuel switch and can run the carbs dry, or you'll be taking the fairings off to drain the carbs anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt have an off, but i can drain them without taking the whole fairing off, its easier to get to on this bike then the newer ones

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
it doesnt have an off, but i can drain them without taking the whole fairing off, its easier to get to on this bike then the newer ones
I believe your year of bike should. petcock should have 3 positions... on, off and reserve. are you saying yours does not?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'll help you bring it down, i've got a trailer. Where abouts do you live? :rolleyes:

post up some pics, maybe someone can see the on/off/reserve switch?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Should be fairly easy to retrofit a petcock with an "off" position on the new Ninja. If not there's got to be an inline cutoff valve out there somewhere that would work without too much fuss. Something to research during the short, dark days of winter coming up. Considering how easily an "off" position could have been added to the stock one, it's a shame Kawi didn't realize the benefit it could have been to owners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts