Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all the ZX owners. I am fixing to buy my first sportsbike, not my first motorycycle, just sportbike.

I found a 2006 ZX636R 1,800miles guys asking $6,000. First i wanted to know if you fellow zx owners think this is a good deal?

Is there any difference in the ZX6 or 636, are those the same bike?

And just a general question to the ZX636 owners. How do you like the bike, would this be a good bike for a noob like me? Any issues i should know about or look for in a kawi. I have only owned hondas, so im thinking about making the cross to the kawi side:D!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Hello to all the ZX owners. I am fixing to buy my first sportsbike, not my first motorycycle, just sportbike.

I found a 2006 ZX636R 1,800miles guys asking $6,000. First i wanted to know if you fellow zx owners think this is a good deal?

Is there any difference in the ZX6 or 636, are those the same bike?

And just a general question to the ZX636 owners. How do you like the bike, would this be a good bike for a noob like me? Any issues i should know about or look for in a kawi. I have only owned hondas, so im thinking about making the cross to the kawi side:D!
the zx636, zx6r, zx6r, and 636 is all the same bike.

the zx6rr has a differant motor.

great bike. lots of low end torque, great all around street bike. the trans is a little clunky, but once you get use to it, its no big deal.

·
Registered
296 Posts
get the bike you'll enjoy it. just take it easy though 'cause this bike begs to be ridden aggressively :D

G

·
its an OK deal. 05-06 636's are going for less than that

but those bikes are awesome. the extra CC's make a very nice differene

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, sounds like it has some good power. I should know for my self tomorrow, I setup to test ride it with the guy selling it. What would be a good price to offer the guy, he is asking $6,000 but said if i have cash to just make and offer after i ride it, so i might be able to get it alittle cheaper. Do these bike have any issues i need to know about?

G

·
if u can get it for $5500, then it would be a hell of a deal

the biggest issue with 05-06's is the transmission. on some bikes it has gone south (i believe the specific problem is something to do with 2nd gear). if u do a search on here u should find several threads on it

since this bike has such low miles, u really cant tell if u'll have the same issues. its somewhat rare, but if u can get a good deal on this bike u should go for it anyways

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
busa busa busa! JK

NK's right... watch for the transmission problem. 5550 is a a good deal. get it while you can. good luck and post up pics when and if you get it or another one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the 636 is an awesome bike. I have rode an 07 r6s, 07 gsxr 600, and an 08 r1 and the 636 is definantly the best one next to the r1... its BY FARRRRR the fastest and best feeling of the 600's

·
Registered
34 Posts
i think the only transmission problem is shifting from 1st to 2nd in a smooth motion (your thrown into netural instead of 2nd) mine does it all the time.. just do a nice run-down on the bike, if you know a friend/mechanic - get it inspected ($25-50 for a inspection is cheaper then buying a lemon... TRUST ME)

if you want kind-of some reading material - http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html
Just take some notes like "check brakes, smell for fumes, cold start it, etc etc" so when you get there you can just take your time and know what your looking for.

for the offer, throw a little low-ball for him to counter (like for my kawi it was $4.5K on craigs, i offered $3,500 and we agreed for $4K which is want i had/wanted) Everyone is different, but that's how I haggle a bit.

but on the side-note my 636 is F***ing crazy fast in the low-end.. (i do have a -1,+2 sprocket) but the RPM limits are insane (17K redline). It seriously has the same umph as my 1Krr but easier to throw into a turn.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
but on the side-note my 636 is F***ing crazy fast in the low-end.. (i do have a -1,+2 sprocket) but the RPM limits are insane (17K redline). It seriously has the same umph as my 1Krr but easier to throw into a turn.
correction, it does not redline at 17k. i believe the technical is 15300 unless you bypassed it with either an ignotion module, or a race ecu.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys thats for the input on the ZX, I didnt get to go look today, but most likely tomorrow morning. So what is the best way to really look for a problem with the trans, is it shifting at high speeds the issue, or at lower. I want to know what to look for when i do a test ride. Is this a real big problem with the 06 that will most likely happen no matter what? the bike has been sitting for awhile, thats one thing that worrys me about it at the moment, might have some bad gas!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Hey guys thats for the input on the ZX, I didnt get to go look today, but most likely tomorrow morning. So what is the best way to really look for a problem with the trans, is it shifting at high speeds the issue, or at lower. I want to know what to look for when i do a test ride. Is this a real big problem with the 06 that will most likely happen no matter what? the bike has been sitting for awhile, thats one thing that worrys me about it at the moment, might have some bad gas!
the trans issue, is mainly with 2nd gear. after you shift in to second, it can slip back in to neutral. most bikes are fine and dont have an issue with this. only a small percentage has a problem with this. even if this issue were to develop for you, there are some fixes.

i really wouldnt worry about it to much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mine will shift back into netural if i'm going above 6Krpms (i've kind-of fixed it abit with adjusting the rear-set shifter - previous owner had it way too high)

·
Registered
335 Posts

if u can get it for $5500, then it would be a hell of a deal

the biggest issue with 05-06's is the transmission. on some bikes it has gone south (i believe the specific problem is something to do with 2nd gear). if u do a search on here u should find several threads on it

since this bike has such low miles, u really cant tell if u'll have the same issues. its somewhat rare, but if u can get a good deal on this bike u should go for it anyways
+1

That's a good price that bike, if the bike is in mint cond - 6k is good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Good bike. I've ridden and tons of 600cc sport bikes and for the street it is my choice (out of 600cc sport bikes). Then again you couldn't pay me to ride one of the street because all of them are horrible street bikes. For track use I'll take a cbr600 or gsxr600 any day over a zx6r after riding them all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I almost got the 06 zx6, ran into some issues! The guy didnt have the title, and just gave me the run around with everything, so i just called the deal off, told him to call me if he has title in hand.

So I was pretty disapointed, but found another zr6 for sale, but its a 07 only has 1,500 miles, and could get it for $6,500. What do you guys think, is there any major difference in the 06 and 07? I did alittle reading, looks like the 07 has less power? Is the 07 a better zx6?

G

·
:plusone:

the engine is slightly smaller, it looks different, but its still a great bike. VERY smooth ride

and with the 07's u shouldnt have to worry about transmission issues

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats good to know the trans wont be an issue with the 07. Is there a real big power difference, i know the 636 was known for the low end power. Does the 07 has that nice low end power? Im just wondering if i should go with an 06 before the 07? The 07 looks to be a decent deal since it only has 1,500 miles, i talked him down from a $7,500 starting price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.