Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was riding in 50 degree weather this weekend and i noticed my temp read 187 degree's. isn't that kinda high considering the weather was almost freezin like balls? i read in the manual that 244 degree is high and that is when the temp light starts blinking but 187 is awefully close and i can't imagine what it would be like in summer. i mean i was only riding for half an hour and coolant is full, correct water/coolant mixture, no leaks. i did notice after an hour it went down to about 155 degree's. still, what is the normal temp for you guys? i have a 2000 zx6r in immaculate condition, 5,000 miles on it btw.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Something to remember, the thermostat in the cooling system is designed to keep the engine temp around 180 degrees. When the temp gets higher, it opens up and replaces the hot coolant with cold coolant from the radiator.

So 184 degrees is perfectly normal.
BC.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that's what i needed to know. so even in the summer it will be operating in the 180ish?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No actually the temp will be around 200-210 while riding, higher while at a stand still or slow speeds doing the summer months i believe thats where mine was running at.I have an 02.

Edited by - NINJAMAN6R on 12/16/2002 17:38:06

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
my running temp for my 01 here in houston is around 200-220 city driving. houston is warmer but right now there is 60+ temps. i have not driven the bike in summer temp yet.......im scared that it might get higher than that.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't worry about the temps hovering around 220+ F while city driving, that's perfectly normal for any high performance motor that makes roughly about 125hp p/L of enginge displacement.

Its a small, compact, tightly built engine, and the heat has nowhere to go. If the radiator system was a little better designed, then you might see a little improvement in cooling performance, but not likely.

The only real thing you can do to lower the temps is to either replace the temp switch that activates the fan for one with a lower temp, or to rig a manual switch to activate the fan yourself.

BC

·
Registered
73 Posts
Im in San Diego and my 00 zx6r only hits about 165f on the freeway in the middle of the summer. Light to light though it runs about 200 to 220.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think 180 is a little hight on a 50 degree day, that is if it was staying in the 180's. I too have trouble keeping my bike cool in the summer. Do what you can and I can only expect it will pay off in the form of extending engine life. I would like to hear from the factory on this.

It ain't worth dying if you haven't ever lived.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.