Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So its time once again to turbo, I have had the idea of a turbo 636 for a long time now and i have had a turbo sitting around for over a year just waiting to be put on. This is attempt no.2. First attempt started with cutting up the standard headers and starting to weld em together to make a mainfold but just gettin she shits and giving up and buying a second hand set of header from the us and getting it back on the road. well the licence has gone once again so with some non riding time on my hands its time to have another go, properly this time.
First problems is where to mount, the radiator is in the way to mount high enough for oil to dain back, but mounting lower will require a pump. I have done a little bit of looking and these pumps arnt so cheap. having the turbo lower would be good for the weight and easier for dump pipe clearance.
One idea is to cut the bottom off the rad or maybe just some of the middle and get the turbo up high enough for oil drain back. Still yet decided. few hundred $$$ for oil pump or cut and weld radiator and maybe add extra fan to rad for cooling.

next problem is the airbox, one option is to remove the second set of injectors and make a intake, my plan for now is to put a block off plate on front of air box and feed the boost in through the bottom, that way i can keep the 2nd set of injectors and wont have to worry about having to run bigger standard ones. since ill only be running low boost i dont think there should be any problems.

then there is the fuel and ignition, I already have a powercommander so was thinkin about gettin the ignition module for the timming. altho I think it can only retard 10deg which might not be enough. also might plug in the hub with a 2 bar map sensor to make tuning a bit easier.

Im not lookin at 1000 power in a 600 its more of a bling thing and even if it only hads enough power to make up for the extra weight just the sound will be worth it.

I have started on the manifold. I made a manifold plate and have cut the ends off the standard headers and they are sitting in the head then will weld then to plate. bit hard to see in pic but will post some more of the progress along the way.

cheers
Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Quite a project that you are working on there. There have been a few guys with 636s that are working on or have completed turbo installs in the drag section of this forum. If you haven't already, it might be worth checking out some of their posts to see what kind of issues they had and how they solved them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i have read a lot about it, I am sorta a bit scared of blowing the thing up but its all learning if it happens it happens. Not tryin to make a 1k killer so im not gona push it to hard....just for the coolness factor.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Your stock compression is 12.8:1 so you won't be able to run a shit-ton of boost but it will respond very well to turbocharging in stock trim. I would only recommend running about 7lbs of boost (.5 bar). I would also run bigger injectors (like from a car) if you are getting rid of the secondaryies.

Bacause of the curveture of the radiator, there isn't going to be room to do a high mount, so you will probably end up needing to install a scavenge pump. There are plenty of places to run an oil feed line from, as well a coolant (if you turbo is liquid cooled).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your stock compression is 12.8:1 so you won't be able to run a shit-ton of boost but it will respond very well to turbocharging in stock trim. I would only recommend running about 7lbs of boost (.5 bar). I would also run bigger injectors (like from a car) if you are getting rid of the secondaryies.

Bacause of the curveture of the radiator, there isn't going to be room to do a high mount, so you will probably end up needing to install a scavenge pump. There are plenty of places to run an oil feed line from, as well a coolant (if you turbo is liquid cooled).
Yeah thats why i said i will only be running a tiny bit of boost, and i am not removing the 2nd set of injectors cos i am goin to use the standard air box just sealed up. its not about making heaps more power maybe just some more down low and just the sound and looks. good thing about the stock injectors they are 12 hole, the ones in my car are expensive ones but they are still only 4 hole. so where you might pick up more power in the top it would probably just waste the rest of the bikes power. tryin to keep it as stock as possible and the turbo to just work in with the original design.....i have the drain welded in the sump gona take the feed from the test port like most people have done.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Yeah thats why i said i will only be running a tiny bit of boost, and i am not removing the 2nd set of injectors cos i am goin to use the standard air box just sealed up. its not about making heaps more power maybe just some more down low and just the sound and looks. good thing about the stock injectors they are 12 hole, the ones in my car are expensive ones but they are still only 4 hole. so where you might pick up more power in the top it would probably just waste the rest of the bikes power. tryin to keep it as stock as possible and the turbo to just work in with the original design.....i have the drain welded in the sump gona take the feed from the test port like most people have done.

They pull until the red line when they are forced. There is no plateu in the power curve. It just keeps pullling and pulling untill red line. The reason N/A bike fall off around 9K is because the atmosphere can't push enough air in to keep up with the demand of the engine. With forced induction you don't have that problem. even a tiny bit of boost is going to increase the total dynamic air flow a great deal. You should stand to be surprised at just how much power you are actually going to make.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my bike doesnt even start pulling untill 8-9k but hopefully turbo should start spooling around 7-8k so then the fun times start....hehe now just gota get off my arse and get some more work done...

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Mine starts to spool at about 3,000 and I'm pushing 12lbs by about 6K. The high compression exhaust pulses spins the turbo up pretty quick.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
awesome.. another turbo fan!

sweet!!

tough guy and punk surfr (i think thats the spelling?) are def ther guys to talk to about it.. well, i got my own boost project as well putting a T3 50 trim on a 2000 7-R.

are you looking to run variable boost or mod compression at all?

theres a copkle ways of doing effective oil scavenging.

one, is to run a shur-flo pump and use it to draw vacuum and scavenge oil from the cartridge (slang for bearing housing). this is an age-old trick that RB racing and Mr. Turbo used to rely on hen they made turbo kits for the then-new ZX11.. aslo, you can build a reed valve that is placed inside the motor on the pick-up port to the pump. it'll draw oil both from the sump and from the turbo then.. but, unless you're a machinist, you might wanna consider other options.. i can still give you the plans for tit and you can go from there if you're baller at makin shit.

mind you, most turbos only can stand up to about 40psi of oil pressure, so be aware of the pressure at where ever you tap from for a feed.

question.. what kind of turbo is it? size, A/R all that?

is it a oil and water cooled cartridge or just oil? all these things need planned before the master builders and my lowly ass can really help ya..

sounds badass tho..

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
my bike doesnt even start pulling untill 8-9k but hopefully turbo should start spooling around 7-8k so then the fun times start....hehe now just gota get off my arse and get some more work done...

If this statment is true, your bike isn't running right and you are going to want to address that issue before you start building. If you boost an engine that isn't running well, said engine is not long for this world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts