Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought all the stuff to change my oil and filter before it got too cold out for the winter season.
I work alot of hours and kept puting it off, and now its freezing out. I havent even gotten a chance to wash it or lube the chain up. Would it hurt it if i stored it as is for the next few months or should i just gather up enough energy to go out and do it?? I got the next 2 days off but its already 30 and below where i live

Thanks[:M72]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Wow, a new bike and you already can't be bothered to change the oil due to a little cold weather...?? [:M70]

If it were me... I would most definitely change that oil! [8D]

·
Registered
156 Posts
hrm subject being oil and winter storage...... would it be a good idea to use an oil stabilizer? sorry to jack the thread but its something ive wondered about.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The other problem with "old" oil is that it can contain corrosive materials and acids created by the vehicle's operation, so old oil can eat away at that expensive aluminum engine. IHMO, suck it up and change it.

Easy to say, since I live in San Diego!;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by BSHAP
Wow, a new bike and you already can't be bothered to change the oil due to a little cold weather...?? [:M70]

If it were me... I would most definitely change that oil! [8D]
Didnt say i couldnt be bothered, I work 60 hours a week and when im not working im sleeping but i took the next 2 days off so i can take care of some things.. This is my 1st bike and i just wanted to know if not changing would hurt it or not but now i know so i will change it. And as far as the cold weather goes, I work in a freezer that is 10 below zero. Its not the cold that bothers me, I just heard that starting a bike that has 20W50 in in when its that cold out isnt good for it, but i guess i shoulda mentioned that be4

·
Registered
934 Posts
Easy there MichiganWheelie, I was just jokingly trying to get my point across... If I offended, I apologize. As jjordon93 described, "old" or "used" oil does turn rather corrosive... So you probably don't wanna leave that oil in there throughout those lengthy Michigan winters. ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bro, I work 70 hours a week. I had to change the oil on my car, my wife's car, and my motorcycle this past Saturday. If I am going to work alot I am definately going to take car of the things I buy from all that work.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If it is too cold for you to change the oil I would put Stabile in the gas so it will be good in the spring. Change the oil first thing in the Spring or wait for a warm day. I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Utah there will be miserably cold days and then it may warm up into the 40's the next week. Then I would change the oil.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by MikeO
If it is too cold for you to change the oil I would put Stabile in the gas so it will be good in the spring.
After adding STA-BIL to the tank, the engine should be run for a bit to treat the entire fuel system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.