Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well checked all the fuses all OK not even corroded battery has 12.7v but if I leave it switched on then the oil and neutral light flicker then the rest of the dash starts to come back but there is a clicking from under the fuel tank

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
141 Posts
Hmm, could be a lot of things, there is a fair few connections between the battery and the starting of the bike, There are connectors under that tank that tend to get corroded easily that lead to the switch gear on the bike, I'd check those. Apart from this there are a fair number of switches: Neutral switch, clutch switch, sidestand switch, kill switch inside the actually switchgear, that I'd check over.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Humor me then ;)
Start from the Beginning and tell us what the issue is which led to you checking all the Fuses ?
If I'm reading it right you turn on the Ignition switch and leave it on without the Bike running and the Dash starts to come back ? What do you mean exactly ?
The clicking, Does it do it all the time the Ignition is switched on and if so is it at regular intervals ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry KevA think it missed some of my text there
well the bike started and worked fine on sat then monday morning turned key everything on the dash lit up as normal hit the starter and sounded like a pop came from the right hand side so checked the fuses nothing blown checked voltage of battery 13.7 volts checked starter fuse all ok but when i turn the key the oil and nuteral light flick on and off and if i leave it for about 10 seconds the dash lights up but starts to flicker and a intermitant buzzing like a warning buzz ya know on off on off from seems under the fuel tank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry KevA think it missed some of my text there
well the bike started and worked fine on sat then monday morning turned key everything on the dash lit up as normal hit the starter and sounded like a pop came from the right hand side so checked the fuses nothing blown checked voltage of battery 13.7 volts checked starter fuse all ok but when i turn the key the oil and nuteral light flick on and off and if i leave it for about 10 seconds the dash lights up but starts to flicker and a intermitant buzzing like a warning buzz ya know on off on off from seems under the fuel tank
https://youtu.be/N0Ngog4IOW0 hope this link woeks will show whats happening

·
Registered
132 Posts
That looks like a dodgy connection somewhere.
When you checked the 30A starter solenoid Fuse were the connections under the plug ok ?
Under the Pink/Red cover.
What year ER6F ?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
141 Posts
That looks like a dodgy connection somewhere.
When you checked the 30A starter solenoid Fuse were the connections under the plug ok ?
Under the Pink/Red cover.
What year ER6F ?
2009-2011, there is another fuse box by reg rec on the left hand side just a bit forward to where the key goes into the rear seat, labelled 20 on this pic:

That's the starter relay's main fuse. This 100% sounds like broken fuse to me so just double check all of them, or even just straight up replace anything to do with ignition just in case, fuses are cheap enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone else comes across it, mine was as a result of a very flat battery. Presented just as the video above, dash lights flashing, slow to come on, then clicking electrical noise from starter relay.

Checked all fuses and they were fine, so just a very low battery after all for me.

Should also say:
  • My battery readings were fine 12.8v so initially didn't assume it was a flat battery.
  • Wouldn't take a charge from an oximiser so jump started it from a car battery.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
141 Posts
If anyone else comes across it, mine was as a result of a very flat battery. Presented just as the video above, dash lights flashing, slow to come on, then clicking electrical noise from starter relay.

Checked all fuses and they were fine, so just a very low battery after all for me.

Should also say:
  • My battery readings were fine 12.8v so initially didn't assume it was a flat battery.
  • Wouldn't take a charge from an oximiser so jump started it from a car battery.
That is actually a good point. A battery can still be dead even if it shows high voltage. If it's sulfated the battery tenders will show fully charged and it'll read a decently high voltage. It IS possible to fix it but tbh replacing is a longer term and pretty cheap fix anyway

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My old battery is still holding 12.9v but changed it and the starter solenoid cured the problem but as supah Jim stated didn't even think of it being battery related as good voltage just goes to show but thanks for all the help, and advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts