Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come to the ZX world from a relic of a sport bike, my first bike was a 1983 Honda CB1100F(the faster red one), but nothing near the handling of my current 96 ZX9R. I'm not sure if the rear shock is junk, or it's not properly adjusted to my fat ass(230#), it doesn't bottom out, but almost jolts me off the bike on the rebound of bigger bumps when riding solo, when my wife gets on, it smooths right out. Looking at the adjustment on the resovoir, it's set to the soft side, and the spring adjustment is about in the middle of the adjustment area.....can i soften this up at all to make it so I'm more confident in the settings? Right now I'm kinda scared to throw it hard into a corner and hit a small pothole or bump in the road and having the rear tire lose contact.
TIA

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
If the shock was junk it wouldn't have any dampening and would just be the spring bouncing around. It DOES have dampening right ?

Hard to say if it's "normal" since descriptions and perceptions are subjective. Sport bikes tend to have stiff suspensions and ride pretty rough on bumps and road imperfections. I would start by getting the sag setup for your weight and go from there. Just adjusting for that might drastically improve the suspension feel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the dampening seems to be on point, it's the rebound that seems tight to me.....it may just be how I am perceiving it though as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts