Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had just changed my insurance from a local company to progressive and they quoted my like $550 a year which was less than i was paying around here so i switched no big deal now 3 weeks later they send me a letter saying that there is a change to my policy and my insurance would go from $550 a year to $1800 a year anyone else have this happen now i have to find another insurance company i can't afford 1800 a year any ideas thanks

ps they said that the zx6r is rated as ultra high performance thats why they changed is [email protected] basterds

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Just call every company in the phone book and you'll get somebody to get you a cheap rate. Usually it's not one of the big companies, from my experience anyway. Try some of the smaller ads and you might be surprised.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I got charged $60 the first month, then the next I get a bill for $180 after a "policy review". I just needed them for that first month though. Geico (who has all of our cars) wouldn't carry me because I was currently uninsured. Used progressive for the first month and then Geico picked me up with no questions asked.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Progressive is awful. I'm only 24, but have had a liscence since I was 17 and have only one small claim (it was vandalism, not an accident). They quoted me $4,000 per year for insurance on a 636. [:M61] [:M44]

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have a contact that writes policies for Progressive and other insurance companies. When she wrote my policy, she mentioned that the rates were going up for bikes, motor homes and such when policies renewed. I don't understand how that can jack up your rates once it's written. That's just wrong. I'm in the process right now of changing from Progressive to State Farm. I've had SF for years on everything else but my agent said they couldn't insure my bike. Yesterday I find a different SF agent that said they could. Go figure...

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
This happened to me and it was because they quoted me for the ZX6-*E*. After talking to them on the phone and giving them the V.I.N. the lady over the phone couldn't understand why the rate went up. She then asked me what type of bike it was. After telling her it was a ZX6-R, the whole story changed. 1000 to 4800 in less than seconds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone know if usaa a motorcycle insurance thats who are cars are thought otherwise i'm going to start calling around

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaRider
When you say $4k, do you mean for liability only? Or f/c? A company near me got me f/c insurance for $1500, and that's for an 18 year old with two speeding tickets in the last year.
What company is that?? I can't find anything less than 3800 f/c on my bike here. I'm 23 with no accidents just a claim for damages.

I need to find some good insurance, liability only sucks. I'm always worried something's going to happen to my bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone know if usaa a motorcycle insurance thats who are cars are thought otherwise i'm going to start calling around

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am surprised that is even legal. They write up a policy for a certain amount, and as long as nothing changes on the policy, and no claims are made I don't see how they can arbitrarily raise rates. Only when the policy renews should they be able to do a "policy review".

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
that sucks, im up for renewal in december.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I found Geico to be just as bad as Progressive when I was shopping around for the best insurance rates. Come to think of it, every company that I called was comparably shitty. They all rip you off because the president of the company has to maintain his 3 compounds in Maui. We can't forget what is important now, can we?;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I would try State Farm. I went today. They had a freeze on writing policies for bikes and now are allowed to do so. I still feel like I'm getting ripped off. Went from Progressive ($120 month) to State Farm ($80 month). Full coverage with $500 ded.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Guys....I don't understand...that's brutal

Rider Insurance...full coverage $749

·
Registered
337 Posts
Regarding State Farm: I found that one state farm agent gave me a really high quote. The other got me full coverage on my '97 6r for about $24/month with a $250 deductible. When I wrecked it August 18, The adjuster started with a pretty low number, but was open minded. End Result was that I got more than the $4k I had paid for the bike. I'm 27. Hadn't had any accidents until this one. No tickets on my record.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got a quote from state farm for 700 a year full coverage, I went to the office the next day to purchase and they told me they couldnt insure me because my wife has 2 speeding tickets on her record.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by Ken Yellow 02
Originally posted by NinjaRider
When you say $4k, do you mean for liability only? Or f/c? A company near me got me f/c insurance for $1500, and that's for an 18 year old with two speeding tickets in the last year.
What company is that?? I can't find anything less than 3800 f/c on my bike here. I'm 23 with no accidents just a claim for damages.

I need to find some good insurance, liability only sucks. I'm always worried something's going to happen to my bike.

Lighthouse insurance in New York. I think they're a local company, so they may not insure bikes out of state, but give them a call anyway. Here's the digits: 1-800-399-0300

[:M88]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.