Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah well after a shalkedown run on my RC51 after a year and putting on some new tires, bigger throttle bodies and a custom tune..
Get to the same turn i totalled my vette and what happens?
I Snapped my chain and fucked up my RC51...So the JB Weld will be coming out and fixing the damage...

But i must say, damn that bike has some solid torque over my 636.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
How many miles were on the chain, and how often did you service it? Not flaming; just curious.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sorry to hear that, gotta keep mine tightened.

--Anthony

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chain was a RK 520 double X-ring with 7500 miles..as far as servicing it, it gets the same attention all my bike parts get, complete and utter attention.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I replaced my first RK 520 chain after 7000 miles because the seals were leaking and had alot of stiff links in it which was odd as my first chain went 17k without this many issues. Im running the same chain again now with 1000 miles on it and BelRay Superclean as the lube, we'll see what happens but we could be on to something here with RK 520 chains????

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
RK chains are crap. I've seen the same results on other forums with them. Stick with D.I.D. chains, WAY better quality.

JD, damage doesn't look too bad considering the chain snapped. Looks like you got lucky and the chain didn't get wrapped up around the front sprocket? I've seen alot worse damage from similar situations.

With the weight and torque output of the RC, I would personally be running a 530 chain. I just don't see that there is an advantage to running a 520 chain on the street, the weight savings are not worth something like a chain breaking happening unless you are racing the bike. The ZX6R comes stock with a 520 and is alot lighter and has way less torque than the RC so that is a different story. And I would put a 530 chain on the ZX if I could find the right sprockets for it. Haven't checked yet tho.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
JD, sorry to hear about the chain, that truly sucks. :(

And i'm not one for karma and superstition and all that, but something says to me, if thats the same corner you totalled your vette in, that you might consider staying away from that corner at all costs from now on.

I mean i'm all for "get back on the horse" and "don't let it beat you" but 2 bad situations in the same place seems to me like someone is telling you not to be in that area.

Glad you came out of it ok. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just curious if the link was a clip style or rivet style? I put RK 520 chains on both my street and track bikes, with just the clip on style link at the moment.. I purchased the Rivet style links but I dont have a tool to put those on. I'm in the habbit of checking the link after every session on the track bike tho...

If I had to do it all over again I would have left the bikes with 525 chain and sprockets, the weight difference isnt really worth it, although the 01 ZX6R isnt exactly a torque monster like the RC51. :)

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The chain was riveted, and i am going to go ahead and swap over to a DID Chain....Will stick with a 520 series as i just prefer it as i mainly ride on the track, but occaisionally ride on the street with her..

A 2000 Model bike with 9500miles...so that shows how often she is really ridden (one trip alone was 1300miles)..But maybe being gone all the time is the key to why its so low miles, Damn Army.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Check out the DID 520ZVM2. It is thier premier X-ring chain and the highest tensile strength rating they have for thier 520 series chains. And DID quality is just outstanding IMO. The X-ring chains also have a 1 year or 20k mile warranty against material defects and workmanship on them from DID.

Oh and DID chains come with a rivet style link standard. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah just poredered the Top one from DID, with new afam sprockets...as any other Aluminum sprocket is crap compared to them..

Alos i would like to say if you think a 530 is better just remember since most have no F'in clue that the only difference is the side to side SIZE...
You dont dont get longer links or anything else...
A quality 520 is better then a Good 530 chain anyday...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Ya, the size is different but the main advantage of the 530 chain is the higher tensile strength as compared to a 520 chain. Look at the tensile strength listings for the top 530 DID chain as compared to the top 520 one. You get a chain that can handle the heavier weight of the bike and the higher torque much better and will last a lot longer assuming the same riding and maintenance habits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.