Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what rpm do most of you guys shift at. When your running pretty good with other bikes and when you're just crusing by yourself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To me the higher rpm’s are better in terms of control. Like if you need to pick up the speed, or reduce the speed without shifting. It can save you valuable time when you need to do it quickly, and the bike is more controllable.
However if you’re just leisurely cruising, you can shift earlier at about 5k. You’ll save on gas too. I remember when I went trough the break-in period, I had to upshift at 4k (and ride too), and so it was possible to ride over 200 miles on full tank. It never happens now.
And it’s not the way you should do it constantly. I’d say between 6k to 8k are the optimal revs to shift unless you wanna to take off good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I usually ride with slow bikes (250s) so normally stay
around 5000-6000rpm. When I ride by myself I usually
do around 8000-12000rpm.

Really going for it i'll try to predict when the needle
is going to hit near redline and change then.

Dan.

---
'01 ZX6R Blue

·
Registered
147 Posts
if i'm riding casually: normally shift all gears around 5-7k

if i'm riding agressively: normally shift our of 1st around 10k, 2nd and 3rd around 12k, 4th and 5th i'm not really sure, never really looked because of how fast i am going (don't really feel it's wise to take my eyes of the road to look at the tach when i'm doing 120+). honestly, i do most of my aggressive riding in the twisties so i don't get out of 3rd that much because i really like to keep the RPM's high, (around 10k), because i ride with a few gix 1000's and a 954RR and need to keep up.

i never run to red line because i never really feel any extra power after 12k (98's redline @ 14k)

billy m.
1998 ZX6R
WTF is a Gixxer?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I commute everyday and ride the canyons on the week end. When commuting I usually shift at around 6-9000 and get 50-52 mpg. while riding on the weekends in the hills usually more like 10-12000 and my mpg drops to aroung 35-38.

It's days like this I wish I still did drugs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.