Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a 3 hour ride yesterday and was about ready to kill myself, my wrists hurt so bad. I have a history of wrist problems from prior fractures and being a drummer(wrist sometimes popping partially out of socket, occasional pain, numbness, pinched nerve type sensations) but riding has to aggrivate these problems the most, especially in the throttle hand. I've been thinking about getting one of those cruise control things for the throttle, so i can take both hands off the bars on the freeway. How do those things work? The ones ive seen look pretty cheap. Also, if anyone else has this problem, what do you suggest i do pre/post riding? Stretch wrists, ice, heat, modify clip-ons?

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I have the same problem - my wrists like constantly hurt now because I commute to work every day. The left wrist not so much because I typically rest my left hand on the tank. I know....bad habit...but whatever.

My suggestion is to use your legs to take pressure off of your wrists. I think our problem is that we're putting too much pressure on our wrists instead of spreading it out.

Also, on the freeway I'm pretty much always tucked. In the tuck, you can rest your wrists and put all the pressure on your lower body/stomach.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
My first 3 months of riding I had the worst left wrist pain. Eventually my wrist got stronger and now its not a big deal. It's probally the same thing as carple tunnel syndrome, a weak wrist being used too much causing great pain. Just hang in there, that 636 has much more aggressive ergo's then the F2 you had before.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've tried everything I could think of - to no avail. My wrists start killing me after 20-30 minutes of riding (also a history of prior problems). The only remedy I keep thinking of is buying something like a Speed Triple or a Z1000 for daily riding and keeping the 636 for occasional "spirited" mood swings... Maybe in a year or two.

Here's my take on these "cruise control" thingys (thingies?). As simple and inexpensive to produce as they are, you'd think every motorcycle manufacturer would slap them on every bike from the factory. There must be a reason they don't.

Whatever you do, please don't "take both hands off the bars on the highway"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cruiser?!....That's not even funny:D I do try to take weight off my wrists, but i think the problem is the angle at which my wrist is held when maintaining my speed with the throttle on the freeway. I didn't mean "take both hands off the bars" at the same time, i meant take either hand off to shake it out a little. I think the reason they dont put cruise on bikes from the factory is because they dont want the bike to keep going under power in case something happens and you lose control. Accellerating/decelerating does not hurt as much because i am getting motion in my wrist. What do they suggest people do for carpal tunnel? I tried crouching on the freeway, and it does take a little pressure off, but i just feel silly in a full crouch at 80 mph. Hmm, maybe i should check out my other favorite website and exercise the wrists a little!

·
Registered
143 Posts
i suggest getting some adjustable clip-ons, look on ebay and youll probably be able to find a good deal. much safer than cruise control stuff

·
Registered
634 Posts
Carple tunnel is just a name doctors put on the fact of people having weak wrists. The only remedy for this so called syndrome is to strengthen your wrists.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Scott, welcome to the wonderful world of owning a 2003 ZX6R. Those bikes put you in a very aggressive riding posture. I rode my friend's 2004 ZX10R, and it's so much more comfortable. The 2005/2006 ZX6R's are more like the comfy 10R. You just have to get used to it. I try to change up my riding posture during a long ride and it seems to help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I clamp my knees down and use my back and stomach to relieve pressure on my wrists. I have a problem with my left wrist hurting, especially if I just got through jamming on my guitar, and then go for a ride.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Chances are, if your used to riding a sportbike a cruiser will hardly put a smile on your face, so don't do that.

I have an 03 9r, much more comfy than the 636, I just rode 1100 miles to deal gap and my hand did get tired and go numb sometimes, but hey, I never said its a gold wing. Also, I play guitar, and used to lift weights, I think I mgiht have a bit of tendonitis from that. My wrist hurts not because there is weight on it, because its a comfy seating position on the 9r, very straight up, my wrist hurts more so because of the bar vibrations. I got new grips, but it still happens after a while. Stop, stretch, drink plenty of water, and just keep an eye on it and don't ride for prolonged periods with a numb hand, could be permenantly damaging I would imagine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ride thru the pain. In a couple of months it will disappear and it will be replaced by other sets of pain.(neck, back, lower back) Hit the gym, get buff, it's the cheapest remedy to your problem.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If using your abs, back and legs to support your weight (no weight on arms) doesn't solve it, and it might not, then a bike with more relaxed ergos is the solution. Lots of fun, naked bikes with a more standard seating position out there. A few sportbikes have more relaxed ergos too as mentioned (04/05 ZX10R, 05/06 6R, 9R, Honda 929/954, Triumph Daytona 955, etc).

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
make sure you're not locking your elbows, that would cause a bad angle at your wrists. aside from all the other stuff mentioned, adjust your brake and clutch levers so they line up with your wrist when it's straight.

·
Registered
293 Posts
First, you need to consiously NOT grip the bars tight. I keep having to force myself to relax. Tough with traffic.

I picked up some foam wraps for the bars. They are like scuba wetsuit foam that wrap around the grips. Makes th bars bigger and I find it makes throttle control more difficult; so I only put them on on highway trips. I keep them wrapped around the fairing stay.

The foam wraps seem to help. I just did a 460-mile trip to Charlotte and back. Had no problem with hands, but my legs were a bit tired.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Whatever you do, please don't "take both hands off the bars on the highway"

why? i do that all the time.

anyways... my wrists dont bother me anymore... they were at the beginning of the season but all gone now. did 275 miles in 3h10m yesterday with no problems.

getting one of the throttle-meister things isnt a bad idea (cruise control) basically it just locks the throttle grip in place.. pretty basic but it works.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.