Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys use it in the bike? It's 104* here in ny and even hotter with the heat index...I was just wondering if you guys you any octane booster.

i use 93 octane gas (its the highest avail here in N) and wondering if it would help or harm the bike in any way? Or if theres any pros and cons?

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Honestly there is no real benifit to you using this stuff unless your getting knocking or pinging..AKA detonation

maiinly they turn your plugs a reddish orange color and you wont be getting any power gains, sorry man..unless you have tha=e above symptons.

·
Registered
272 Posts
if you're worried about the heat then you shouldn't be looking at fuels, but cooling agents for your engine. water wtter i think is something you put in place of the coolant and it keeps your engine running a few degrees cooler.

·
Registered
470 Posts
those octane "boosters" only raise octane by a point or 2. so instead of 93 octane it will be 93.1 , not worth it.

I would do what GoTime suggested. 93 octane is good for preventing detonation, dont know why you think just because its hot that you would need a higher octane.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
See my recent writeup on octane here: http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64555

To your original question, hotter air temp will increase the risk of knocking, therby requiring more octane to prevent it,but this would only apply if you had been running less then the reccomended spec in most cases, like if you were running 87, and heard knocking, you would go to 89.

If you are running 91, which is the ideal octane for our bikes, running more octane will provide ZERO benefits to you, unless you hear knocking, in which case you should get the bike looked at, because 91 is plenty in any ambient temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.