Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im going to bakersfield this weekend to see wut my baby could do on a quarter mile. I would like to find out wut type of octane grade i should use for a stock '06 zx-10r[?]

·
Registered
205 Posts
a lot of the racers use the VP U4 but i use the F&L SP5 its non corrosive like vp and it works i believe better than VP but we all have diff opinions..

·
Registered
554 Posts
89 octane pump, but if you are using race gas VP MR9 is the best.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Actually don't use 89 or 93, use just 87 pump, you will gain more from it that the others. And you can get this proff of a dyno it has less resistance to burning.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Octane DOES NOT increase power. Octane is an additive to prevent the gas in the cylinders from igniting early.
You want to run the lowest octane you can without causing knocking/pinging in the engine.

The reason many drag racers run super high octane is they have increased compression in their engines, or other major engine work, and they NEED to run that higher octane to prevent knocking, which will damage the engine pretty quickly if you are drag racing all the time.

if you have a stock motor, run what is reccomended for your bike.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
I don't know about the 10's, but my 6 makes so much noise that it's difficult to hear the difference between a ping and the timing belt. For that reason, I've never run below 93 octane.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When my tune was off and I was running lean, I was able to hear knock on my 9. It sounds different than exhaust and other noise. Alot of times it is on tip in, when the bike isn't making alot of noise. What octane is recommended for your bike? If it's 91, then you should be able to run that unless you've bumped the timing too much, or have added compression vs. stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Run what you are dyno tuned for if no custom mapping then 87 should give best on pump gas; to benefit the most from U4 or MR9 a mapping is best but you will probably see some gain even without proper mapping...

if worried about knocking or pinging then stick to 93 but for a few 1/4 mile runs I doubt you will hurt anything.. lots of guys run 87 pump gas at the track..:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally posted by salsa1
to benefit the most from U4 or MR9 a mapping is best but you will probably see some gain even without proper mapping...
.:)
Why would he see gains using U4 or MR9 on a STOCK bike, without increased compression/timing? If you aren't getting any ping, which he shouldn't, slower burning fuel will only decrease power, no?

·
Registered
803 Posts
This is why i hate i bought my bike second hand.... HE SAYS the cams are degreed and the timing is bumped up.....Ive been running 93 and its ok... but when i added some VP c12.....HOLD THE FU** ON! There was a BIG difference in throttle responce and power... front tire wouldnt stay planted in 2nd off hard throttle.....back to 93... I have to clutch it up in 2nd....AND the SMELL...... I think Im in love....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Because U4 and MR9 are oxygenated and low octane. The fuel adds a slight compression bumb by adding oxygen. Think of nitrous. When you add nitrous oxide you are adding oxygen and cooling the hot air.(hot air expand, cool air becomes condensed)By cooling this air you allow more air in the combustion chamber with the addition of oxygen to burn more pure. This process adds compression without head work, pistons, or advancing. Highly oxygenated fuels do this on a much smaller scale. I don't know this because I read it somewhere, I am just assuming with a little common/scientific sense. So if I'm wrong someone will correct me.
Originally posted by 2KZX-9

Why would he see gains using U4 or MR9 on a STOCK bike, without increased compression/timing? If you aren't getting any ping, which he shouldn't, slower burning fuel will only decrease power, no?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am mapped for 93 at 12.8:1.. when I ran U4 my mph increased a few on the top end.. dragracing...those are my findings..

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am mapped for 93 at 12.8:1.. when I ran U4 my mph increased a few on the top end.. dragracing...those are my findings..
Where did you get your map work done? Watertown?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Got my map done in Omaha..:)
I see they have a pretty wicked bike & car dyno in Lincoln, NE. I think I will have those guys dyno tune my bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.