Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

October issue of Sport Rider magazine

2K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Rob Lee 
#1 ·
Did anyone read the article on what aftermarket parts will give a 00-02 zx6r the power of the brand new 636? Do you think its accurate or just a ploy to sell aftermarket parts?

#3 ·
It is probably accurate. I read the article standing in Walmart, I can't remember exactly what they did.

Before you spend a lot of money getting a little more horsepower which you probably won't notice, spend some money upgrading the suspension like having Race Tech do the forks and rear shock.

I wouldn't spend $1,500+ dollars to get 5-10 more hp. If you want it that bad sell your bike and buy a '01 GSXR750. It will run circles around even the new 636.

#5 ·
Ya got to admit though that the GSXR750 is a great bike and that it doesn't make a lot of economic sense to spend big bucks upgrading a '00 ZX-6R to come up to the performance of a '03 ZX-6R when for $6,000 you can buy a like new GSXR750 that will out perform the '03 ZX-6R. It is kinda like the arguments we hear for nitros and turbos. Why spend $5,000 dollars to get a ZX-6R up to the performance level of a ZX-9R when for $5,000 you can buy a ZX-9R.

I would be curious to see which would be faster on the track, a bike with 10 extra horsepower say with a full Akrapovic and jet kit or a bike that was set up by Race Tech. Both would cost about the same.

#7 ·
Bought the mag, felt hugely disappointed by the article. They blew more than $3000 to bring the '02 ZX-6R within milli-seconds of the '03. I was hoping they would be more judicious in their mods, something more doable by people with jobs rather than access to manufacturers wanting to please them.

You really can't go wrong, blowing that amount of money on suspension and an exhaust system

For that kind of money, I'd sell the '02, buy the '03 and still have some money left over for the Ohlins rear shock that's really needed.

I'll probably just stick to their website from now on ...

#8 ·
So how much did just the motor mods cost, and what parts were changed?
BC.

#9 ·
No motor parts were changed, save for a Factory Pro +4 degree ignition advancer and a jet kit.

The complete list of mods and cost:

Akrapovic Evolution full system, $1395
Ivan's Performance Parts (IPP) Jet Kit, $120
Factory Pro Ignition Advancer, $54.95

These 3 modifications resulted in an increase of HP from 95 to 104 @11,500 rpm.

Traxxion Dynamics front fork revalve, shim kit, rebound needle kit and heavier rate fork springs, $525
Penske 8981 rear shock, $775
DP sintered brake pads, $37
Spiegler Steel-braided hoses, $109.95
42T Sunstar rear sprocket, no price

TOTAL: $3,016.90, without sprocket

#10 ·
They were going for track times, not raw power. The actual performance parts were ~$1500 like Poch said, but those were all bolt-ons. They didn't do any work on the motor at all. Head work, balancing, lightening and some bumped cams would've put them way over what they got from the exhaust and doubled it with.

Why would someone spend the money to do this? Insurance and weight. That's why I'd do it anyway. A 6 with the power of the 9 will slap the 9 around all day long, give the Gixxer 1K a run for it's money on the track and completely destroy the Gixxer 750. All for the same insurance premiums you're paying right now.

#11 ·
If it's for the track, then their results point to the answer: Get the '03 which still edged out the better time, and then modify that. The power gains from the full system, jet kit and advancer would wipe out any cost-effective modification you can do on the '02.

Lighter than the '02 by 11 kg, more power out of the factory, brakes born on the track. Doesn't that make sense?

#12 ·
It does to me[:p]

Now if I could just disregard that voice of reason that says I can't afford it right now, I would have the '03. Or the '04 RR on order. And that's the zx6-rr.

What sucks is we don't get Sport rider over here, none of the stores have it. And you can't order a specific issue from their web site either. :(

Anyone want to scan the article?[^]

#13 ·
I have to ask... If you took a stock '02 6R, made the exhaust/jetting changes that they did, and dialed in the stock suspension for the track you were testing on, and put it up against a bone stock '03 636 with its suspension dialed in for the same track, how much of a difference would there be with the same rider at the controls.

How much of a difference is there really between the suspension systems of the two bikes? I can't really see the stock suspension of the two bikes being that far off from each other. Granted the new bike has USD front forks... But you guys know what I mean...

BC.

#14 ·
and you can get a 2002 zx-6r which IMHO is more comfy and it would cost alot cheaper...2002 zx-6r's don't sell for much used....

but to be honest, if I wanted perfomance I would spend the money on a bigger bike, but luckily I have very cheap insurance so jumping up to a liter class bike won't kill me like it may some people...

#17 ·
Two things. The '00-02 GSX-R750 will NOT run circles around the '03 636. In a straight line it is SLIGHTLY quicker, not much at all. I know. I do this in a regular basis against a guy the same weight and riding skill as myself. He pulls a bike length or less in each gear down a straight on average, something that can MORE than be made up under braking and cornering. We have similar mods on our bikes, and while I certainly can't BEAT him down a long straight, if I tuck in behind him I can certainly get his tow and hang with him.

The thing everybody needs to keep in mind is that yes, you can certainly upgrage an older ZX to make it competitive with the latest models, and in the hands of a skilled rider that is MORE than enough. However, those same mods can be applied to the '03 636 and be equally as effective.

And I absolutely agree that nitpicking over a fraction of a second in a quarter mile is a worthless debate, and that spending the money on suspension upgrades or a good track school will be FAR more effective in making you a better rider. Period. I think way too many people are caught up in quarter mile times instead of lap times and rider skill and enjoyment. It's usually non-track people who suffer from this though I find.

It's too expensive to be upgrading your bike every year just because the latest and greatest is a tick quicker through the traps. Be happy you've got the great bike you do and try to get your money's worth out of it.

#18 ·
Originally posted by swjohnsey

It is probably accurate. I read the article standing in Walmart, I can't remember exactly what they did.

Before you spend a lot of money getting a little more horsepower which you probably won't notice, spend some money upgrading the suspension like having Race Tech do the forks and rear shock.

I wouldn't spend $1,500+ dollars to get 5-10 more hp. If you want it that bad sell your bike and buy a '01 GSXR750. It will run circles around even the new 636.
I don't know about the 2001 gixxer 750 but the 2004 gixxer 750 will run circles around our 636's! It will only weigh 5lbs more than the 636.

#19 ·
Come on. Circles? It'll be a little faster in a straight line. In the corners it'll be anyone's guess at this point since nobody's tested the '04 Gixxer yet, but the 636 may put the power down easier. I'm guessing they'll be comparable on the track, with the Gixxer getting the nod due to the slightly better speed trap readings. The September 2003 Superbike magazine picked the '03 636 over the '03 Gixxer for a track bike because of better brakes and a better chassis, despite being 11 hp down on the 750. Because of the closer ratio tranny, the 636 is able to run with the 750. I think Tommy proved that all year long in the Superstock class in a championship that for all intents and purposes he really won were it not for a penalty. Tony Meiring came fourth by the way.

The '04 Gixxer will have closer gearing, a bit of a boost in power no doubt, and a better chassis and brakes. That'll likely mean it's a better track bike than the 636. But I guarantee it will not run "circles" around the it. If you call beating the 636 by a tick in the 1/4 mile "running circles around it" then you and I have different views of what circles are.

#20 ·
Reading this thread, I bought the latest issue of Superbike. (Barnes and Noble booksellers carry the magazine around these parts). Indeed there is an interesting test between the ’03 Gixxer 750 and ZX636B.

The most substantial difference they noted is the brakes: nod to the ZX. They are phenomenal and I look forward to trying aftermarket pads and (perhaps) stainless lines. The Nissins on the Gixxer work great, but seem to be yesterday’s news. Wave rotors, Spiegler master cylinder, and stainless lines aren’t cheap upgrades.

Both need to be revved to the moon and back. The ZX merrily revs up all the way past 10K with little to no hesitation, so none of this is a big shock. Based on the power curve, the Gixxer’s making 100 hp at about 9,500 RPM, the ZX 10,500 RPM. The Gixxer dyno’d at 119, the ZX just under 108. The Gixxer’s 10-15 lbs heavier. No surprises.

I don’t think anyone with sense could “knock” the Gixxer; they really are fun bikes. I like the ZX better, finding it easier to toss around. To me the ZX is peppier, the Gixxer eviler, if that makes any sense. The Gixxer has somewhat larger dimensions and “more comfortable” riding position, whatever that means (Gixxers and “comfort” are highly subjective, IME).

The gist of the test is how evenly-matched these bikes really are, as things currently stand. We’ll see about the ’04 Suzuki upgrades to the 600 and 750. The Superbike guys were astounded a 600 (636, actually) could hold a candle to the vaunted Gixxer 750. It did, and beat the Gixxer by the narrowest of margins (96% vs. 95%). One design’s all-new, the other three years old. Do the math.

I think both are a total bite in the ass. I’d have bought the Gixxer a few months ago but for the brakes, suspension, super light weight, and fuel injection on the ’03 ZX. No regrets: either makes a truly evil track tool.

-=DRB=-

#22 ·
The neat thing about fierce competition . . . the '04 GSXR600 and 750 will have radial brakes and inverted forks plus lose some weight.

From a poor boy standpoint, this will drive down the price of the '01-'02 GSXR1000 and 750. Now, honestly, which would you rather have, a brand new '04 ZX-6R for $8,000 or a '01 GSXR1000 with a few miles for $6,000 . . . or less.

#24 ·
Hey...I just found this site...and thought you guys might be interested in some background on that SR story. That's my bike, bought it as a regular track pup and commuter. The suspension mods were my idea, and I paid for them. I've ridden the ZX-6R models through the years and have always thought it a great bike with crummy stock suspension, so that was my first mod.

SW, I'm in total agreement with you. If I had to prioritize the mods it would be to do the suspension first--probably shock first, fork second--and really work on getting the chassis attitude right. My bike's a bit of a stinkbug now, but I'm also running a 120/70 front tire and stiffer spring rates all around.

Next would be the jet kit. This has helped the bike's throttle response and peak power tremendously. The Akra was Kent's idea, for getting a bit more power and cutting some weight. As for internal mods, I didn't want to break it open so young; maybe when I have some other reason to get in there and mess around I'll do the 636cc kit and porting, but not yet.

As we've said, the biggest gains came from suspension (and tires!) not from more power.

Why this bike and not a new '03? First, I like this bike better--it fits me physically and I can actually travel on it. I'm just too uncomfortable on the new bike. It's a personal preference, sure, but...hey...it's MY money.

In the end, it's about keeping the bike you like better and seeing if some mods could get it close to the latest and greatest. I'd say the J model did pretty well.

Oh, and since the article came out, I've done a bit more tweaking with the jetting and get 105 hp at 12,500.

--Marc

#26 ·
Originally posted by swjohnsey

You haven't riden an 03 636 have you? If you had you never would have said that. At the very best a 750 gixxer might be even with a 636..but it certainly won't run circles around it..

Even beyond that..is the fact that they are comparing a 600 level bike against a 750 level bike..so what does that tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.