Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i've been hearing u guys rag on ducatis lately and saying how much they suck compared to a 600 or 1000, i have one question: how come they are doing better in worldsuperbike than any other manufacturer?
they're also doing pretty good in moto gp but since those bikes aren't production based i'll leave that aside.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by spartan 116
since i've been hearing u guys rag on ducatis lately and saying how much they suck compared to a 600 or 1000, i have one question: how come they are doing better in worldsuperbike than any other manufacturer?
Quite simple, WSB rules favour twins. 1000 cc fours are restricted and previously max 750 cc fours were competing against max 1000 cc twins (and if Haga hadn't taken ephedrine Yamaha would've won WSB with R7 2000 but thats a different story. After that season Yamaha quit their factory effort in WSB).

Honda managed to squeeze two WSB titles from Ducati (with a v-2 engine configuration) before they quit their factory team. Aprilia never quite made it in WSB despite the fact that they were pouring lot of resources into making Mille competitive in WSB, probably the thing lacking was experience and top rider.

This year WSB has been almost like some sort of Ducati Cup, which is a shame.

The good thing is that it will change when the big Jap factories get back into series with 1000 fours and full factory efforts. Probably it won't take long until Ducati presents V-4 homologation special based on the Desmosedici MotoGP -bike after Japs kick their ass in WSB 2004 ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anyone that says Ducatis suck doesn't know sh*t about bikes. I do however totally agree with Routa in that WSB rules are biased towards V-Twins. As far as bike per dollar the jap bikes give you the best value for your money, but there is no denying the Ducs are works of art.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Ducati's SUCK!

My opinion is that they are ugly looking over-prices clunka junkas. They might be "this n that" but IN MY OPINION they are fugly. [xx(] It's like having a ferrari that looks like a Yugo.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I see one almost every day. This asshole (he doesn't even recognize the other riders) that thinks he's the prince of England rides one to work and parks it where I park and it just doesn't appeal to me. There's also been one in the showroom floor of the local shop I go to for about 4 months. Do you really think anyone is gonna buy a used bike for 18K when theres are brand new 03's right next to it for almost a third of the cost. Maybe in Manhattan but not in the Bronx:D

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I, up until recently, worked at a Ducati dealer here in Las Vegas. I like Ducati and think that the previous models were gorgeous. Ever since they hired Pierre Terblanche to design for them, their image has gone down the drain. Since the introduction of the 999 their sales dropped over 45% in the U.S. alone, and when we attended the dealer meeting, Ducati explained that this is the new look and we all "better get used to it". It's so bad that they have introduced three retro bikes that are said to be released called the sportclassic. How bad of a f*ck up do you have to be for the company to release retro bikes to make up sales.

As for the bikes sucking, I never said that. I merely stated that NinjaRider shouldn't buy the one he was looking at because it is all wrong for the type of riding he would be doing. Myself personally, I would love to buy a 916/996/998 but just can't afford it. The bike itself still holds it's value very well and service on the 4 valve head is VERY expensive. They are very nice bikes and can't be beat when it comes to V-twin sound, but they are a bit overpriced. Why buy a 16-32 thousand dollar bike when I can buy a GSX-R 1000 for 10k and spank the pants off of it. I don't care about the "look at me, oooh, aaah" factor of the bike, because half the people don't know what it is, and the other half will be Ducati riders as well that will come up and tell you how much better thier bike is and how much more carbon fiber they have. Let's face it, Ducati riders are right up there with BMW riders in how pompous they are about thier bikes.

And as for the WSB question, Routa has it right. The rules are definitely in favor of twins.

·
Registered
206 Posts
A few years ago I was gullible enough to believe all the reports in the motorcycle press about Ducati now being well made and reliable. So I went out and bought a 750 SS. I think it was the most beautiful bike I've ever owned. Once I figured out that you had to really work it hard, it was a very satisfying bike to ride.

It also cost me more in repairs than every other bike I have ever owned put together. Strangely nothing went wrong until the warranty expired. Bastards!

I will never buy another Ducati.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i like 'em, but that was kinda obvious wasn't it;)
oh and there is a gixxer 1000 in wsb, actually 2 i think, but u guys are right in that the rules favour twins. but they wouldn't limit a 1000 that much would they?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love the looks of the 748,996,998. But the 749 and 999 just do appeal to me. Also I have heard they are a pain to maintain

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I agree that they are far overpriced. I also agree that they are quite ugly since the inception of their new designs. You will also find them in the shop more often than other sportbikes on the average. Great bikes? Well, I guess that is left to opinion.

·
Registered
474 Posts
oh and there is a gixxer 1000 in wsb, actually 2 i think, but u guys are right in that the rules favour twins. but they wouldn't limit a 1000 that much would they?
Actually, the air restrictors that WSB mandates for the I4's really hurt performance. In fact, there is serious doubt as to whether any of the big four Japanese manufacturers will even bother competing in the series next year. The rules changes over the last several years have been aimed directly at giving Ducati an unfair advantage in the series, and the Japanese manufacturers are getting sick of being yanked around. At this rate, Ducati will be the only manufacturer left to field a factory effort in WSB. Sad, really. [8]

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
everyone is leaving because of wsbk rules that only allow one tire brand...well that's one main reason i guess

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, as I understand it.. I could be wrong... the Fours can't even use functional ram air assistance? Thats a big downgrade for the fours in my opinion. World superbike is and always has been partial to twins.. Since.. The world superbike might as well be called Eroupean superbike with a few american riders. :p

The real question is how come no one rides duc's in the AMA? Because at least for now the fours have the ability to use all the elements that make them the best performers.

I'm not anti-duc, I just believe personally the real performance lies within Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh yea totally, italian=$$$$ and ok performance

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.