Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding on my way home almost dark,two lane road with constuction on one side. Two cars in front of me,first car puts on left signal other car and I stop alot of oncoming traffic so we wait.Paranoid me looking in my mirrors seeing what the assholes are doing when I see this car coming and not slowing down.I am almost ready to shit a brick because I cant go anywhere. I'm over on the left side of the lane as far as I can go without being in the other lane.So I see this car getting closer then I here tires squeeling and then this stupid ass fat bitch pulls off the right side of the road over the curb taking out a mailbox 2 trashcans & an old vacuum cleaner.
My heart was pounding so hard it was unreal.All I could think about was my bike is trashed but thankfully she killed the mailbox & garbage instead of me & my bike.Traffic all stopped both ways so I thought it was a good time to shut the bike off and tell her & her boyfriend what I thought of her driving.Believe me it was not a pretty sight.I was so enraged her boyfriend locked his door & rolled up his window.Niether one said a word to me.I said things i didnt believe myself.So when I was done exploding at these two people I hopped back on my bike went around both cars and for the first time
carried the front wheel first thru fourth gear.When I got home told
my girlfriend she couldnt believe it.But after we talked about it and told her what all was said all we could do was laugh.It was a close call but I'm here to tell the tail , it pays to keep an eye on whats behind you.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Glad to hear you were okay. I always allow myself a little space between me and the car in front of me when stopped anywhere; I also try to stay on the side of the car not the middle because you just never know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to keep that magic space between you& others I was about 15 feet behind this car I pulled up about 10 feet then she hit the mailbox . Atleast I was wearing my Shift M1 suit & boots all geared up.

·
Registered
748 Posts
dude, honestly, i'd be thanking her for at least having enough sense to avoid me and take out the inanimate objects. a local rider just got rear-ended up the street at the traffic light, and he still ain't doin too well.
yeah, it's messed up she wasn't paying attention, but we've all had distractions at one time or other. just glad you didn't get hit.

i had a schoolbus come runnin up behind me at a traffic light. i heard the tires squeel and see nothin but grill in my mirror. luckily the left lane was clear and i was able to run up along side the car in front of me. the bus stopped ~2 feet from the car that was in front of me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
first through 4th? our bikes can do that?

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
I agree with ******. I don't think I'd go as far as to thank her for avoiding you (though I guess maybe you should), but if there is anything good to come of this, it was the fact that she was smart enough and had the instinctive reflexes to go around you. I've seen some really, really stupid accidents that would have been prevented if the driver of the car hadn't target fixated.

Glad you're here to talk about it.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
You learned a hard lesson the (relatively) easy way - always keep it in gear and have an escape route until you're SURE the car behind you has stopped.

Years ago (before ABS) whe wouldn't have been able to steer around you while on the brakes that hard. You'd have been creamed for sure. Watch those mirrors, bro.

Glad it worked out ok.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
that is one of my biggest fears on my bike. I hate being at a stop with no one behind me. Like the others have said, you MUST keep an escape route open. It's hard sometimes, and easy to forget when coming to a stop.

Okay, so on that note...where would you all position yourself behind the car in this situation? Would you put yourself towards the right , or the left of the lane? Just curious. Peace!

Edit: I know it depends on the situation...but just wondering really what place is the best to be...so that you can see and be seen by all the cars you should/need to.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I got rear ended while leaving a stoplight a few years ago when I had my R6. The guy that rear ended me was stopped behind me at the light the whole time. I started to accelerate when the light turned green and before I knew it was on the ground wondering what happened. I thought that I hit oil or something but, an off duty detective saw it all and told me that the guy in the pickup hit me. It was kind of funny when FHP were questioning the guy that hit me though. He told them that he didn't see me and the cop replied "How could you not see him he's riding on a bright red bike and wearing a red helmet!" The damage was mostly cosmetic,I was fine and actually made out pretty good because there were light scratches on the whole right side, dented pipe and scuffed mirrors. The bike still looked very good but, his insurance company cut me a check for $3500 later that day. Sorry for rambling, my point is that no matter how careful you are, unattentive drivers can still cause accidents.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by trashmonkey
that is one of my biggest fears on my bike. I hate being at a stop with no one behind me. Like the others have said, you MUST keep an escape route open. It's hard sometimes, and easy to forget when coming to a stop.

Okay, so on that note...where would you all position yourself behind the car in this situation? Would you put yourself towards the right , or the left of the lane? Just curious. Peace!

Edit: I know it depends on the situation...but just wondering really what place is the best to be...so that you can see and be seen by all the cars you should/need to.
Wherever the "Safest" (relatively) escape route is. If there's a shoulder on one side and another lane of traffic on the other, I choose the shoulder. I may lose it on slippery grass, but that's WAY better than getting creamed by 4000 lbs of cager-driven steel...

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Originally posted by Micron05rr
my point is that no matter how careful you are, unattentive drivers can still cause accidents.
I don't think anyone is refuting that, but anything you can do as an alert rider can help prevent or minimize the chances of being hurt by some of the idiots we encounter on an almost daily basis. I am constantly evaluating my surroundings, considering worst case scenarios, and I always assume that the guy in the lane next to me can and will cut me off. Staying ahead of the game has helped me prevent many things on the road...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.