Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone thought about putting an oh shit handlebar(s) on their 2008?

If you look at the old 250, they had one on the back, which looked like a wing. These bars help the passenger if they need to scoot back or hang on to something while riding. I only thought about it because I took a friend riding and she kept sliding forward, pushing my nuts against the tank *ouch* :scared:

this bike really doesn't have the look for them and the rear fairings seem too weak to support handlebars+putting weight on them. but just curious, what do you guys think would work if we did want to install them?

other than that, I'm training myself to ride scooted all the way back :Bike:

pic of old 250

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
37 Posts
You just got to love the useless reply. I am not sure what other options there are for oh shit bars, but like you said the new body won't support it and it def it will look ugly.

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
I'll do it if I can be the one to do it to you, then I can eat them?!

Do the passenger pegs suck on the 250? She should be able to put more pressure on her feet and keep herself a little more stable that way ya know?

And a buddy of mine cracked his fender trying to put some sort of sissy bar on there. he's an idiot I'll give you that. but it's not meant for it. I really dont know what you can really do that would look good. I'm interested in seeing what you guys come up with.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Simple solution, have your sweet young rider hold your nuts. Then when you apply the brakes her tender hands will protect those tiny nads from doing the squishy against the tank.

Second solution, when braking have your passenger push against the tank so as to not slide forward.

If CG or BC would like to help I will demonstrate both solutions and show why the first is the best. .

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
why do you need an "oh shit" bar for something that maxes out at 50?

Nah, I'm just playing. Seriously, I think they are the worst thing ever (the bars). They give people the idea that you can hang on to that... and what happens under hard acceleration due to an unforeseen obstacle? Off she goes.

I think the problem is you have a bad passenger. Tell her to squeeze you with her legs more and like sd said, have her dig her heels in a little and push back on the pegs (both legs at the same time, not a shimmy motion) and that sound solve it. Also, maybe she is leaning too far forward. I use to take this girl out for rides, and when she put her arms around me she would always slide forward and it would suck for both of us. My buddy suggested she held on to my jacket pockets, or the vents in the back of my coat and she sit more upright. ALl of the sudden thing were a lot better for both of us. WHen I would go a little harder she would hold on to me, but just crusing, the pockets were the way to go.

Oh, and for the haters... she was like 100-110lbs... so none of this here:

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
Second solution, when braking have your passenger push against the tank so as to not slide forward.
oh yeah, forgot to mention that part... I was thinking ahead too much gearing up for the fat chick response...

If CG or BC would like to help I will demonstrate both solutions and show why the first is the best. .
:rotflmao:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the problem is you have a bad passenger. Tell her to squeeze you with her legs more and like sd said, have her dig her heels in a little and push back on the pegs (both legs at the same time, not a shimmy motion) and that sound solve it. Also, maybe she is leaning too far forward. I use to take this girl out for rides, and when she put her arms around me she would always slide forward and it would suck for both of us. My buddy suggested she held on to my jacket pockets, or the vents in the back of my coat and she sit more upright. ALl of the sudden thing were a lot better for both of us. WHen I would go a little harder she would hold on to me, but just crusing, the pockets were the way to go.

Oh, and for the haters... she was like 100-110lbs... so none of this here:
:Laughing rolling:hilarrrrrious!

But yeah that makes sense now, and I appreciate your guys' input... I gotta put that breezy in check and tell her how to ride properly

·
Neutered
9,637 Posts
Just so you guys know...a passenger grabbing that "oh shit handlebar" is probably the single most dangerous thing they can do, and if you're honestly more worried about your balls than their safety you shouldn't be taking tramps like that under your wing in the first place, considering you're responsible for their life and limb while they're on the back.

And for the record, the "oh shit" handlebar is actually a grab handle to assist in putting the motorcycle up on the center stand without a work partner. As your bike doesn't have a center stand, I'm sure the designers felt like a center stand grab handle was a rather unneccissary eyesore that only furthered the 250's reputation as 'outdated', which as you should be able to guess was their main concern to get AWAY from with the new design. OK thanks.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
yeah that is was we figured out too BC... we went from being about to take 20-30 minute rides to taking hour(s) long rides no problem... but of course, I was always up for an hour long ride minimum... lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
another question tho.. on the new 250, I had her sit on the rear seat (I dont have the seat cowl) which of course slopes higher BUT has a gap between us. I rode the 2nd time (to avoid nut damage) scooted back to be closer to her and give my nuts some room.. therefore I was farther away from the handlebars and had to lean forward a little more...

should she still sit on the higher rear seat and use these techniques you guys suggested or just have her scoot down and use these techniques you guys suggested?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I seeee. ok :cool: will try this, thanks

·
Neutered
9,637 Posts
It's called a sissy bar, by the way.
This is a sissy bar:

Sissy Bar because it's a back rest on a motorcycle. The handle in the back of the old 250 is the same thing as the handles on the sides of the ZZR/older ZX6R, and on the back of the old school ZZR/ZX6E. It's all for the center stand. Even the part in the Kawi parts fische says it's a "Subframe Grip".

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
use your knees to grip the tank and you wont slide up like that

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.