Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man at idle last night at a light i am hearing a knock.

Its intermittent i dont hear it all the time, but when i do I get scared.

I have just about 2000 miles on it (06 ZX6R)

Could it be like the valves need adjustment??

I had my first service done at a Kawi dealer but I doubt they did the valve adjustment, if it even needed it.

Any suggestions???

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have not ran anything less of 93 octane

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I highly doubt you need a valve adjustment at 2000 miles. I highly doubt there is a single thing wrong with your bike. Is it running ok? Do you notice a power loss? Most likely you don't. If you are really that concerned about it, take the bike back to your dealer and have them check it out. It is under warranty still, right? Bikes make noise and its a helluva lot more noticeable than in a car. Get used to it and learn how the bike sounds. Then when something actually IS wrong, you will know the difference.

Run mid grade in the bike, you are just wasting money with the 93 octane stuff. The whole idea is to run the lowest octane possible without getting any detonation or "pinging". I run 89 in my bike even in 100+ degree weather and have no issues. I could probably even run 87 octane, just havent tried it yet.

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xtremewlr, Thanks for the reply- I have not experienced a power loss, as i rack up miles i feel the bike actually pulling harder lol. I dont know what my warranty is on the bike actually. I will have to check that out. I can like diagnose a car problem within minutes of just hearing the noise but when it comes to bikes, to me it seems like its a whole nother world.

And I was always told to run 93 octane. Ill give it a shot and run 89 or 91. I never even thought about driving on 87.

Also my old 96 Camaro SS, i had a 383ci stroker motor on 16 psi of Supercharger boost. And I had to run 93 NO MATTER WHAT lol. So thats what I thought with this bike cause of the hi-po engine.

Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had something similar. I knew it wasnt a rod knocking or anything like that but around 2500 it started making a noise. Took it in to the dealer and they had 3 of their guys who actually know what they're doing come out and just listen to it. All said they weren't sure what is was but was definitely external and they thought it was the butterflies fluttering at low rpm. Either way, I'm sure it's no big deal. Take it in to the dealer if it gets worse but you're probably fine. And warranty on the bike is 1 year unlimited mileage unless you buy the extended warranty...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
To me, an engine is an engine, they all work the same basic way. Some are noisier than others but that doesn't always indicate a problem. Maybe it would help you if you thought of the engine in your bike as half of that 383 only in a smaller, better performing package. The basic principals are the same with the only real difference being the wet clutch. Do your own oil & filter change next time and spend a little time looking the engine over with the fairings off and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Originally posted by hokie636
The kawi tick strikes again. It's ok, they all have the tick like yours now has.
Yeh I got a tick and so does my buddy ( both 06 636s ) my bud freaks out about it cus its like more of a tick then mine haha.. Everyone tells me that most all kawis make a ticking noise..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by xtremewlr

Run mid grade in the bike, you are just wasting money with the 93 octane stuff. The whole idea is to run the lowest octane possible without getting any detonation or "pinging". I run 89 in my bike even in 100+ degree weather and have no issues. I could probably even run 87 octane, just havent tried it yet.
I'm not sure about this one. Our bikes have really high compression. Sure this MAY work for SOME cars, but I would NEVER run anything lower than "Premium" or 90 Octane. Though "Mid-grade" could be close to 90 (89 here in Cali), I still would not run it. I ran 89 in my Integra and the compression is a lot lower (10:1), and I got a check engine light before mid tank. The cause was a faulty o2 sensor due to the gasoline. I put 91 in immediately, reset the ECU, and ran the car regularly for the rest of the tank. So far, no problems since that one occurance. Moral of the story, 90 is probably the lowest possible that I'll ever run in my bike. ~40mpg is good enough for me the spend that extra $0.60 for that fill up.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
On a side note, I used to work for a dealership and I do know that on some warrenty work the manufacture will request fluid samples BEFORE they approve work. This means if you are NOT running what they recommend for fuel, oil and antifreeze, they have the right to void your warrenty. I know for a fact that SeaDoo has done it on watercraft and Yamaha has done it on watercraft AND motorcycles (in a couple cases of me sending in samples, the oil was Amsoil the reason the warrenty was voided). I am not riding on the track or racing so to me what the factory recommends is what I will stick with.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by Riding4life
On a side note, I used to work for a dealership and I do know that on some warrenty work the manufacture will request fluid samples BEFORE they approve work. This means if you are NOT running what they recommend for fuel, oil and antifreeze, they have the right to void your warrenty. I know for a fact that SeaDoo has done it on watercraft and Yamaha has done it on watercraft AND motorcycles (in a couple cases of me sending in samples, the oil was Amsoil the reason the warrenty was voided). I am not riding on the track or racing so to me what the factory recommends is what I will stick with.
The type of oil will void warranty?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hear it being the cam chain tensioner. Those have a tendancy to get loose or something (the dealer tightens them up at X,XXX miles just because. I thought my bike had a rod knock when 1st got it too (stock exhaust, you can hear EVERYTHING)

my friend kurt's '05 gixxer 600 does it too, and my friend dustin's '03 636 does it too...and it bothers us all :(

I'm told it's normal...albeit noisy and annoying...

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
my bike had the tick strait off the dealership floor. and still had it after 5500 miles. but i change the oil around every 2500 miles, because its so hot down hear, the last time i changed the oil, i overfilled it on purpose, 4.2-4.4 quarts. and i dont hear any more tick. i do not use the site window any more, to fill my oil by. i just do 2.2-2.4 and havent heard the tick since.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
we were talking about 89, not 87. Either way, I still would not skimp on such a high reving motor.
i agree, and you cant say because it costs that much more. and extra 50 cents per tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.