Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have tried searching for this and can't seem to find any info on it. I am looking at an 06-07 Zx10r Ohlins Damper and was wondering if it would fit my 05 Zx6r? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea if it'll fit but I would try contacting Ohlins directly or an Ohlins dealer. They may be able to help you out.

One of our forum sponsors is an Ohlins Distributor:

Hardracing.com : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

Ohlins, Ohlins Forks, Ohlins Shocks, Ohlins Dampers, Ohlins Supsension

:)
Thanks alot for the input. I was looking around their store and WOW wish i had the Loot.

Oh and I saw that the 05 zx6r was 63mm and the 06-09 was 65mm so idk if its going to work :(

but already sent them a message asking so hopefully it can some how work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Call up Ohlins usa dirrectly, they are very helpfull over there. They helped me with a problem I had with my damper. I'm sure they can answer any questions you might have.
Thanks Nuar i will try that tomorrow already 8pm over here

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Hey man 2mm is nothing to worry about it is the stroke of the damper not the body.
here is the thing,
the zx10r has a different mounting surface area than the 05/06 zx6r...they have 2 mounting bolts and a raised tab the bracket sits on.
so a kit for the 10r won't work on your bike.

there is a couple viable options,
if you want to do this on the cheap with an ohlins damper, but even then not super cheap.
I run my ohlins damper on the underside of the ram air intake..the ohlins kit sits just like the hyper-pro on top using a big ass mounting plate that uses the gas tank mounting bolt to hold it in.
you can make a bracket to hold the damper easy enough, buy the folr clamp easy enough, just find the damper for a good deal is the issue..

·
That Fighter Guy
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 street fighter
15,175 Posts
Yeah even an OEM Ohlins damper used isn't cheap. I used an OEM GSXR damper with a home made bracket to mount it to my tank bolts. It does the trick though it's not as pretty as an Ohlins.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I will just purchase either a Scotts or a GPR
or maybe even a hyperpro which prob wont happen.

Btw i was also wondering is a rotary damper best for my bike
since its an easier install? correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
+1 with JdGun your best bet is making a mounting kit. Which plenty of people do all the time. If you have a the money or know a friend that can do machining work for you you can turn out some trick-parts and even consider selling a kit to attach the 06/07 ZX10R OEM Damper to the 05/06 ZX6R/RR.

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
Btw i was also wondering is a rotary damper best for my bike since its an easier install? correct me if i am wrong.
That's a loaded question.

I don't think there's a "best" damper out there.

Everyone here will argue one way or the other why this damper is better than or worse than the other.

I think the important thing is to GET a Steering Damper. Which one you get is mostly preference and some small differences.

Rotary Steering Dampers are more compact and survive a crash more easily than Linear Steering Dampers. But I have heard that Linear Steering Dampers offer more feel.

Rotary Steering Dampers (like the Scotts) also normally have more ways to adjust for a given riding style.

So I think it's really preference, I have a Scotts Steering Damper, that's what I had on my 03 ZX6RR and that's what I bought for my 2006 ZX6R. The only thing I don't like about the Scotts Steering Damper is the fact that I had to drill and tap two holes in my frame to mount it. Other than that I highly recommend the Scotts Steering Damper.

But like I said it's mostly preference the important thing is to get one.

Do a search on this forum you'll find hundreds of threads discussing different styles/types and models of steering dampers.

:)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have an '06-'07 zx10r ohlins damper sitting in my garage that I might sell if I get a good price for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts