Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the factory damper that came with this bike and for some reason it dosent seem to matter what position you put it in (the knob that is) it dosent seem to make a diffrence in dampaning of the stering this can be normal I checked an 08 model on the floor ath the dealer and it did the same thing whats the deal do i have a bad damper???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a few friends with zx10's and they have all drained the oil in the damper and replaced it with a heavier fork oil. They all said it made a HUGE difference. I'll find out what weight fork oil they used if your intrested

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey I did mine last week and used 15w for oil. Works great and you can really notice a difference. If you want it stiffer though, go with 20w oil.

After you take the gold hex head out of the end of the damper, hold the whole damper upside down and pump the damper rod until the two pieces come out that are in side. All the oil will come out so have a catch pan of some sort. Fill the hex head chamber with the new oil up to the threads where the hex screws in and pump the rod SLOWLY. Your objective here is to eliminate the air, similar to bleeding the breaks. Fill the chamber 5 or 6 times untill the bubbles dissaper when pumping. When reinstalling the piece of metal and foam make sure that the o-ring part of the metal peice is facing down and then push the foam inside the metal. Reinstall the hex, tighting just enough, It strips easly.

Hope it helps PM if you have questions

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you im going to try puttin the diffrent oil in it. does the adjustment work with the new oil in it or does it not make a diffrence what seting its on ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It makes a big improvement. I run mine on 9 clicks from full soft. Works great for me. After putting the new oil in, put the front tire on a smooth surface and click it to full stiff, then back it off to full soft. You will notice.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
:plusone: for thicker oil. Mine wasn't horrible from the factory, but a heavier fluid (20w) will make a difference. Is a huge help when cornering on some of the hosed up roads around here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i found out why they dont work from the factory they are set so they have very limited dampaning effect. this was set buy kawasaki so that we were protected from sueing them when a NUBE would drop the bike in a parking lot from having it turned all the way up. Ohlines will not fix the problem due to A signed agrement with Kawi. but they did say you can take it to someone and have them repair the problem buy replacing the parts that are speced buy kawi...

·
Registered
88 Posts
What is the deal with the hex head bolts that are holding it to the triple tree? Where can I find a hex head like that? In the middle of the head, there is a metal strip sticking up...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get the tool anywhere, Part Store, Sears etc. I am definitely trying the fork oil change. I was wondering what was up with that thing. I notice no difference whatsoever from full soft to full hard.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.