Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just aquired an Ohlins Steering Damper off of a 2007 ZX10R. Some people don't agree with what I'm going to do and some think it will be cool. I plan on adapting this to my 2007 ZZR600. The tank bolt holes do not line up perfectly, so Im going to build an adapter bracket for that. Also, it does not have the shock bracket that bolts to the top yolk. I am going to build a bracket for that as well. We will see how it goes and if it will work out with no flex so it will be completly functional.

I am taking pictures of the project as I go along, so I can share it with you all. I hope it works out for the Ohlins runs around $400+ new. I picked this up for $40, so I wont be too mad if it doesn't work out.

It's just sitting up there for the visual aspect.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok Gang! I have completed the project and the Damper is on sturdy and functional. I don't think I am going to do a full write up for I don't think there will be many that needs to adapt an '07 ZX10R Damper to an '07 ZZR600. Here are some pictures of the finished project. I have pictures of the entire build, if anyone wants to see a certain part of this build. All I can say is that it was a P-I-T-A, but thought and patients paid off.

This Damper does make a great difference in handling. Cheers!

·
Registered
633 Posts
nice job mate and well deserved too.. Did some of the brackets from the zx10 fit the 6r and how long is the can in you pic too?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice job mate and well deserved too.. Did some of the brackets from the zx10 fit the 6r and how long is the can in you pic too?
The only bracket that came with it was the one that mounts in front of the tank and it was too short and the bolt holes did not line up. So I made a bracket/stage for it to sit and bolt to. I had to make the shock bracket from scratch and ended up mounting it go the yolk clamp as you can see in the pics. Everything bolted and tightened up very well after I was done. Now as far as the can on the bike, I cut it down to 10" not including the inlet and exit caps.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
That is freakin sweet, dude. I've never thought about buying one because I'm just so used to the way the bike handles, plus I couldn't justify $400 plus for one. So it made a noticeable difference? That's nice. I'm going to look around and see if I can't fabricate something like this. Well done, bro.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks great man. sure beats the $650 price tag on a new one for our bikes.
Tober... you got that right! I lucked out when I came across this one. For the $40 I gave for it, I would have built all the brackets.

And Larry... it really does make a difference. Now I had my bike setup pretty good but I can tell the difference especially when taking turns quickly, and the occational stand-up.

I'm planning on having a friend, that works in a machine shop, make me better mounts out of billet, but until then, it's working well.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I am planning on doing the same thing, actually i have been for awhile now, just had more important things first. Looks good, similar to how i was going to do it, though i was going to make the brackets a bit differently as i don't have the stock tank.
Ben

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have been in the market for a damper for a long time now

dampers are stupid expensive!

I have been thinking about doing something similar to what you have done.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been in the market for a damper for a long time now

dampers are stupid expensive!

I have been thinking about doing something similar to what you have done.
Hey Tober! Stupid Expensive is right! They really are! I come across some pretty good deals here in Dallas. I will keep my eyes peeled and I will let you know. We can always fabricate a bracket that will work and look decent.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I would paint the brackets black. Nice job on the remake of them, thats how i planned on mounting mine up...
Ben

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would paint the brackets black. Nice job on the remake of them, thats how i planned on mounting mine up...
Ben
Thanks Ben! If you have an Ohlins and plan on that type of mounts, I will save you some measuring. The bracket needs to be at least 2 1/2' tall from the top of the tank mounts. That way the Ohlins clears the top tripple and nut when it moves.

·
Registered
251 Posts
+1 on the black. But then again IMO you can never have too much black lol. Or possibly if you have any red left over from your wheels, that might look pretty good too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+1 on the black. But then again IMO you can never have too much black lol. Or possibly if you have any red left over from your wheels, that might look pretty good too.
I thought about that but didn't want to get too crazy with the red. I was thinking of a polished black and then color the bolts the red of the wheels.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts