Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1981 KZ440.
If you don't know, it is a 2 cylinder, 4 stroke engine. (I believe a 4 stroke LOL) :banana:
What kind of oil would you guys recommend for the bike?

·
Pursebully
37,528 Posts
Dino oil formulated for motorcycles (wet clutch). I don't know if this bike has a wet clutch, I suspect it does, but even if it doesn't I'd still use motorcycle specific oil. I wouldn't spend the extra money on synthetic. The only difference between motorcycle oil and regular motor oil is the absence of friction modifiers that are added to the regular stuff. The friction modifiers will cause wet clutches to slip and will ruin the fibers.

·
1,905 Posts
Our resident vintage guru (LOL) uses either 20w40 or 20w50 in the older air cooled bikes he works on.
Even though it bucks the motorcycle industries "preferred oil" standards, he uses Valvoline Durablend in all his personal bikes and the ones he works on for his customers.

But as always, oil brand and specifications are up to each rider.

Several of his bikes has 60k plus miles and no issues with clutch, cooling or even wear on engine parts using the Durablend,
He took one of his KZ750 down to the crank in July just to look at things at 50K miles and could still see the hash marks on the cylinder walls and all other parts were like new, with just normal wear.

Here is a nifty site he found for the KZ440

kz400.com

Ride Safe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts