Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a high miles but mint condition 2008 ZX-6R, and am about ready to do an oil change. I would ike to minimize any mess, especially with removing the oil filter from its odd location!

I see that the oil drain plug is easy: right on the front of the engine oil pan, on the left side of the motorcycle. You don't even need to remove a fairing piece! 😀

But the oil filter is a bit of a puzzle. It is nice and easy to see, and the exisitng filter has a hexnut welded on its end (must be a K&N?) which makes mechanical removal easy. BUT . . .

Then there's the issue of how do you keep oil in the filter from spilling into the narrow engine/tranny crevice right below the oil filter??

I have read the DIY instructions for oil changes on this subforum (I actually at least glanced at EVERY one of the threads posted over the last 13 years).

It sounds like sone thing that helps is to, after draining the oil via the drain plug, tilt the bike somewhat to the right to encourage the oil in the filter to flow into the oil pan, before unthreading the oil filter.

Also, some owners have apparently found ways to make "trenches" out of aluminum foil or other materials, for the oil to flow through instead of bathing the crevice in coil. HOW did they do that? If aluminum foil actually stiff enough to hold a workable shape, and will it stay in place or fall off once some weight of oil hits it?

Any pointers on how to avoid a mess would be greatly appreciated, especially since this 50,000 kilometer bike is SO nice, and I hate to spill oil onto its engine exterior, which I could not probably entirely remove!

Jim G

· Registered
686 Posts
Years Ago (2007) when this Model first hit the workshop I thought Kawasaki had Fecked up somewhat in that they hadn't put much thought into the mess as you say when changing the Filter so I spent 15 minuites making a small drain shute and in use there is not 1 drop of oil spilt.
I cut a small opening in the end to stop the oil from flying of the end and it works nicely, You just have to crack the filter and let it drain off, Don't just remove it straight away or there's a tad to much oil flow initially.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Years Ago (2007) when this Model first hit the workshop I thought Kawasaki had Fecked up somewhat in that they hadn't put much thought into the mess as you say when changing the Filter so I spent 15 minuites making a small drain shute and in use there is not 1 drop of oil spilt.
I cut a small opening in the end to stop the oil from flying of the end and it works nicely, You just have to crack the filter and let it drain off, Don't just remove it straight away or there's a tad to much oil flow initially.

Ah, thanks for the explanation, the GREAT photos, and the inspiration! I assume you used sheet aluminum? Is there by chance a "pattern" available that you used to cut the exact shape that ensure a close fit right under the filter, or did you just use a trail and error process to get it "right"?

Jim G

· Registered
686 Posts
No pattern, It was a quick knock up with some 16g sheet steel but ally would be a good sub.

If you can wait until Saturday I will get some shots of it on the bench and some Dimensions..

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I figured the aluminum would be easier to cut and not prone to rusting. I'll find my shears, buy a piece of aluminum sheet, and give it a go.

You should maybe consider temporarily flattening your cut shape, tracing its outline to make a "pattern", make some copies using steel or aluminum, and sell them to other owners! It's a nice solution that I suspect people without the necessary skills would be willing to pay for!

Jim G

· Registered
3,265 Posts
Hi guys! I was considering to change air filter from the stock to k&n, but will that give some power to the engine? Because the told me if i change the air filter from stock to k&n i will lose middle range!
Welcome bro - καλώς ήρθες!

The air filter alone will not give you significantly increased power, you need to change more to get there, so I wouldn't recommend changing just that.

· Registered
2 Posts
Welcome bro - καλώς ήρθες!

The air filter alone will not give you significantly increased power, you need to change more to get there, so I wouldn't recommend changing just that.
Ευχαριστώ πολύ αδερφέ! Είδα είσαι Έλληνας, έχω το μηχανάκι λίγους μήνες ότι βελτιώσει κάνω στο μηχανάκι θα είναι σε φρένα και αναρτήσεις, ενδεχόμενος να το βάλω πιστά την άνοιξη. Απλά ήθελα να μου λυθεί και η απορία όσον αφορά το φίλτρο! Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ!

· Registered
3,265 Posts
Ευχαριστώ πολύ αδερφέ! Είδα είσαι Έλληνας, έχω το μηχανάκι λίγους μήνες ότι βελτιώσει κάνω στο μηχανάκι θα είναι σε φρένα και αναρτήσεις, ενδεχόμενος να το βάλω πιστά την άνοιξη. Απλά ήθελα να μου λυθεί και η απορία όσον αφορά το φίλτρο! Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ!
Να είσαι καλά, τι μηχανάκι έχεις, το ΖΧ; Στείλε μου αν θέλεις προσωπικό μήνυμα γιατί δεν έχει ελληνική γωνιά το φόρουμ ή αν ρώτα ό,τι θέλεις και δημοσίως στα αγγλικά (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts