Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got this bike a few weeks ago it now has 2500 miles on it and i plan to change the oil at 4000 miles. iv raced motocross sence i was 5 and have been a maxima racing oil fan the entire time. i used bell ray for a short time but quickly swiched back. iv been running maxima ultra 5w50 full synthetic in my 250f for over a year and love it. would this be a good oil to run in my 06 zx6r. iv read that alot of oils are bad on the cluch and trany but there oil states its for wet clutch systems. here is a link to the oil http://www.maximausa.com/products/4stroke/maxum4ultra5.asp

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
All quality motorcycle specific oils should also carry the JASO Motorcycle Specifications, which are either the JASO-MA specification (no friction modifiers) or the JASO-MB specification (with friction modifiers). The JASO-MA rating specifies that no friction modifiers are used. Therefore suitable for your bike.

At least, thats was it said on the below website :D

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/motorcycle_oil_technical_facts.htm

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
what ninjakid said. The energy conserving ones cause problems in wet clutches, they are too slippery due to the extra friction modifiers in them.
If you put it in, you'll most likely have a lot of clutch slipping when you get on the gas.
On bikes with dry clutches, like Ducati's, it's not an issue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Unless you already have it, after reading what it does I wouldnt even risk it sitting there. It could create a barrier or some residue on the clutch and cause issues later. I would just use your regular oil (even if it isnt synthetic yet) and then change it again in the spring.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i've always ran Castrol Full Syn. in my R1, with the 06 636 and the slipper clutch, should I use F/S oil or not?
A friend with a 10R said his clutch was acting up with full synthetic. what do you guys say. It's time for an oil change, i'm doing a trackday on Friday and want new oil in before doing this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
you can use regular mobil 1 15w50 in your bike, the 15 w 50 does not have certain friction modifiers that the other weight oils have, so it wont make your clutch slip.... also if you are looking for an oil filter i would recomend a k&n... if you go to any auto parts store that carries k and n filters for cars, cross reference the filter for a 2002 kia rio 1.5 liter... that is the filter for 05-06 636's... i've been doing this with my bike and have had great results...

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Originally posted by maverick10121
so if i use it for winter oil, (not using the clutch, just starting the motor, will it be alright?

You would be much better off not even putting anything in it than that stuff. If you run it in your 250 you can run it in your streetbike!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been wanting to run full synthetic on my bike but everytime I go and look for the mobil 1 15w50 at walmart it says Energy Conserving on the bottle. I have been stuck using motul 10w40 semi-syn from my local shop Roseville Cycle. Anyone have a pic of the correct 15w50 to use and where they bought it?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Walmart has the Shell Rotella Full Synthetic 5W40 - that is what I have been using in my ZX-10 and 636 with good results...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by landon
I've been wanting to run full synthetic on my bike but everytime I go and look for the mobil 1 15w50 at walmart it says Energy Conserving on the bottle. I have been stuck using motul 10w40 semi-syn from my local shop Roseville Cycle. Anyone have a pic of the correct 15w50 to use and where they bought it?
That is the tan cap stuff. I used that in my last bike without issue for about 10k miles. Sold the bike and told the new owner to stick with it.

I did oil and filter yesterday on the ZX. This time around I went with 10w-30 Mobil1 full synth silver cap stuff. First time running full synth in the ZX as this was the 3rd oil change and I am now at 4500 miles. The silver cap stuff does not have the energy conserving stamp on it and should work just as good as the tan cap oil.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't really understand why people don't simply use motorcycle oil??? Motul is some of the best stuff out there!!!! Also-I know a guy that won numerous races back in the day..now a great mechanic. He told me to always only use 10w30 regular oil!!!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Lets see, motorcycle oil is damn 'spensive. Car oil is cheaper and works just fine in a motorcycle. I don't know where to buy Motul locally and I will not buy oil online when I have a perfectly good auto parts store 2 blocks from where I live. Oil from "back in the day" is not the same as oil that is being produced today. But run what you want, its all personal opinions.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by Chas34
I don't really understand why people don't simply use motorcycle oil??? Motul is some of the best stuff out there!!!! Also-I know a guy that won numerous races back in the day..now a great mechanic. He told me to always only use 10w30 regular oil!!!
Because most motorcycle oils are in no way better then automotive oils (some worse actually) and they cost a ton more.
Mobil1 has been tested and come out on top of several tests.
I am happy with it, 5 years and 40,000km's using Mobil1 15w50 (red cap) and now 5w50, and bike is happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.