Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil change using more than 4 quarts?

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  vettjd01 
#1 ·
Anyone's bike taking over 4 quarts when refilling after an oil change?

#3 ·
Capacity per Kawasaki is 3.6 liters, or around 3.4 quarts (1 liter = 1.0566882 quarts). It shouldn't take any more than that, and probably just a little less with a new filter. How are you meansuring? Do you have the bike vertical when you're looking at the sight glass? Are you waiting 5 minutes after switching the engine off to take a measurement?

BTW, everything you ever wanted to know about your bike (specs, part #'s, ect) is on Kawasaki's web site. Follow the "Ownership Info" link to "Part Numbers", enter the search info and download the .pdf file for the specifications.

#4 ·
on the 03/04 bikes if you change the filter the system uses 3.7 liters. There is 1000 mililiters in a liter.

There are 954 mililiters in a US quart which equals just a little over 3800 mililiters in 4 quarts. If you put 4 quarts in the bike you are actually over filling them just a tad. It should take about 3 7/8 quarts for the oil change.

#5 ·
(Of course it takes more than 4 quarts, you're supposed to be measuring in Gallons! Go to the local Shell, and stick the nozzle in your engine, I know this may sound weird, but this is a 2-cycle engine and you need to mix fuel with your oil. Just stick the nozzle in and top it off. Then pour some oil in your fuel tank and you're all set. Your bike will fly like a bat into hell.)

disregard everything I said in parenthesis

(I'm a dumbass)

#6 ·
i have a question. i got my bike a in may its a 2004 zx6r with 900 miles on it. i did an oil change and changed the filter. but i noticed something weired .the bikes engine sounds much more louder than it did before i changed the oil.(i have stock exhaust)is there something i am doing wrong or is it just how it is. because i pull up next to my friends gsxr1000 with a pipe and my bike is louder.

#7 ·
Ok every one I am not a first timer. Just everytime I change my oil I end up putting a little over four quarts. Yes I do measure the bike upright(I even use a level), Yes I do wait for the oil to drain back into the case, also I do know the specs on oil capacity thats why I'm asking if anyone else seems to run into this. I do use a longer filter and when I fill the oil it is between the marks not at the top it case your wondering.

Thanks All

#9 ·
Originally posted by MuzzyMike
Anyone's bike taking over 4 quarts when refilling after an oil change?
Yes occasionally mine does take a little more sometimes, I will fill it with the four and then ride around a little and when I get back it will need some more...

Originally posted by anitmatter
It shouldn't take any more than that, and probably just a little less with a new filter.
Actually if you use a new filter then you need more oil so it will fill the filter, or you can just fill the filter before you put it on...

#11 ·
Originally posted by irokdastar383
i have a question. i got my bike a in may its a 2004 zx6r with 900 miles on it. i did an oil change and changed the filter. but i noticed something weired .the bikes engine sounds much more louder than it did before i changed the oil.(i have stock exhaust)is there something i am doing wrong or is it just how it is. because i pull up next to my friends gsxr1000 with a pipe and my bike is louder.
do a search for oil changes or "burping" the oil filter. i hasnt happened to me, but i read that when u change your oil filter, and then start the bike up, it sounds really loud, and some guys say it sounds like a diesel its that bad. what happens is there is an air bubble in the filter or something and u have to "burp" the filter by unscrewing it a little bit and then tightening it back up.

do a search first and read all that u can. hope this helps.

#17 ·
I just dump 4 quarts in, im not planning on saving the little bit at the bottom ( not to mention you wont get exactly all the oil out of each container anyway)

#18 ·
Whenever I change my oil, I drain the hell out of it. I put it on my rear stand and drain it, then back on the sidestand and let it drip for a few hours. And, yes, when I do this I do use a little over 4 quarts (about an 1/8 quart more). When I'm in a hurry, I just let it drain while on the sidestand, and button it up. Then, it uses exactly 4 quarts.

#21 ·
One time I put too much oil in my bike and it was smoking from the exhaust for a few days, and even then... I don't think I added a complete gallon. And yes... I did change the filter while I was at it.

#23 ·
Originally posted by sneakyws6
98-02 are the exact same amount as well. I owned that model before I owned my 03.

Maybe you should read before you post...

OMG you are so wise old sneaky let me bow down right now...

(on knees) please forgive me master I will never go against your word ever again...

lmao im sorry I dont know all the specs to every bike make as I guess you do, all I have owned made by kawi is my 02... Since they used a different motor in 03/04 I thought the oil capacity would be different...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.