Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm a newbie but I'm about to change the oil on my 05 636 for the first time and I just wanted to know what I'm gonna need for tools. I bought a filter, drain plug, and 4 quarts of fully synthetic Kawi-oil. Is there anything else I'm gonna need? I know oil changes on bikes are pretty simple but I'm new at this stuff. I've got the service manual coming in the mail but I'm due for a change and I cant wait. Step by step instructions would be awesome. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oil drain pan is all. Maybe an oil filter wrench if it's on there tight.

You shouldn't need a new drain plug... just make sure to change the thin round gasket on the plug each time. Also wet the new oil filter rubber with some fresh oil on finger before installing. Don't overfill .... easy peazy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
17mm wrench/socket for the drainplug itself,
a filter wrench deffinitely comes in handy...
the allen/hex key to remove the lower cowling (not essential to remove, but makes things a bit cleaner in ways)
funnel for pouring the oil in the bike (less mess) and
absorball/kitty litter for any oil you may have spilled

·
Registered
744 Posts
u wont need 4 quarts first off. mine takes 2.25 i believe, and thats changing filter and completely draining pan. the manual says 4 i think but i put 4 in and it was way over filled . when bike was on kickstand the oil window was completely full. just pour in a little at a time and check the viewing window until when bike is standing straight the oil should be covering half of the window.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts