Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys not very mechanical here and was wondering how to change the OIL.

Detailed instructions would help.
And don't tell me to search for ir I already did and couldn't find it.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Um, do you got the manuel? If not go get one, its nice to have anyways. Well you will need a socket set for the oil drain plug (most are 17mm), and you will need a replacement oil filter. You should always warm the engine up for about 5 mins before hand to warm the oil to let it all come out. Next drain the oil from the drain and then remove the oil filter, let it sit for about 10mins if you have to and try to get the bike to sit level when you do it. Next, i always run about half a qt of fresh oil though with the drain open to "flush" it out a little. The put the drain back on and a new filter, then fill it up until it is in the correct range in the oil window. Write down about what mileage you are at so you know about when its time again to change. I suggest cleaning your filter at the same time or around the same time, its always nice todo and is only 4 bolts to unbolt the tank, and then 8 or so more on the airbox lid.
Ben

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
good post ben.

Def let the bike run a little bit so the oil thins and drains better. If you dont have stands like me, i put the side stand on a block of wood to keep it more upright. Also, get a oil filter socket, it will make changing the oil filter alot easier. The factory puts those bad boys on TIGHT!

Basically just:
warm up the bike,
get it upright,
take out the drain plug
let the oil drain
take off the oil filter
put the new filter on
put the drain plug back in
fill w/ oil to approate level

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Warm up the bike,
Put the bike upright using the rear swingarm stand,
Remove the left side lower faring,
Take out the drain plug with a 17 mm socket, RIGHTY TIGHTY LEFTY LOSEY:D Basically if your on the left hand side of the bike with your wrench push forward[:D Remember the guy on the forum that cracked his oil pan because he tightened the drain plug when he was trying to remove it!!!!!
Let the oil drain out
Take off the oil filter and let the oil drain out until it stops. I always clean this area really good with a clean rag.
Put some the new oil on the filter seal with your finger and screw the new filter on. Re-torque the filter with a torque wrench to 20 ft/lbs. per service manual
screw the drain plug back in and re-torque it to 14.5 ft/lbs. per service manual
Fill with oil to proper level,DON'T FORGET TO REPLACE YOUR OIL FILLER CAP BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE!!!
Take the bike off of the rear swing arm stand and center it up to check the oil level in the sight glass on the right hand side of the engine case. This works best after the engine has run for a few minutes to insure the oil is at operating temp. Turn off the engine when checking the sight glass oil level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.