Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI i recently changed my oil about 100 miles ago at the 3800 mark and put in 20w 50 because thats what the dealer recomeneded i put it in the bike ran a bit slower so it seemed to me so i took that shit right out 100 miles later and put in spectro semi synth 10w 40 i put oil in the filter and made sure i used 3.6 liters and put the rest of the oil in on the right side i start the bike and the oil light come s on. i figure i need to let the oil pump let the oil work to the top of the engine. i can hear the lifters knockin and let idle for a while then shut it off and turned on the oil wont get to the top of the engine i put the bike away and havent started it in fear of hurting something any advice is greatly appreciated. and i know i have the right amount of oil and everything. anybode get any loud noise after oil change or light on??????????

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
(1) Was that your FIRST oil change at 3800 miles ??

(2) Is the oil level between the two indicator lines on the oil window?

(3) Is everything torqued / tightened properly (drain plug, oil filter, filler cap) ??

(4) Did you change your filter?

We have similar mileage on our bikes and I've already done 3 oil changes, and every time I've changed the filter. I did the first one at around 300 miles to get rid of any metal shavings in the oil. I recently swapped to Bel Ray 5w60 synthetic and I LOVE the results. The bike shifts and revs up very smoothly and there's NO knocking or ticking from the engine. It takes 4 liters of oil if you fully drain the bike, although even if you're a LITTLE under, it shouldn't be knocking badly. My oil light has never come on after a change. Not sure how to analyze your problems there...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do u think my oil pump is bad i have everything torqued i have the right amount of oil in but i even put oil in the filter before i installed it to help get oil to the top of the engine i swear i start it and the oil light was on i thought it needed to idle for a bit but its knockin like no oil is coming to the top of the engine i really dont understand why its doing that its really making me mad and i dont beat on my bike and i properly maintain it

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 1997 ZX6R and I had the same problem. I changed the oil (10W 40 Quakerstate) and filter (Fram), and when I started the bike I had no oil past the filter. After playing wiht it for several hours someone on another forum told me to change to a factory Kawasaki filter, I did, and the problem was solved. For whatever it is worth I think that after running the bike this long without oil in the top end I would take the valve cover off and put oil on the cams. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The oil light often goes on for a bit after changing the oil. To avoid seizure, do not race the engine until the light goes off.

If the oil has just been changed, hold the bike perpendicular to the ground, and then add oil until the level is just above the lower level in the gauge. The exact volume is irrelevant.

Start the engine and run it for several minutes at idle speed to fill the filter with oil. Stop the engine, then wait several minutes until the oil settles. Hold the bike perpendicular to the ground, and then check that the level is between the upper and lower levels in the gauge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have an oem filter i dont know why its doig this since i filled the filter with oil before i put it in. Is there more than 1 drain plug on the bike??

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but why did you fill the oil filter full of oil? I've done a few oil changes on my bike this year, and I've changed the filter every time, but never dumped oil in it. Seems to me that the filter was designed to have oil pumped INTO it, not be full already. Maybe that is the problem, but like I said, I'm no mechanic, so I could be wrong.

If I were you, I would warm the bike up, completely drain all of the oil out (no need to change the filter) then refill it until the little window on the crankcase shows full. If the problem remains, seek professional help. Still under warranty?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just changed the oil and filter on my '03. The light came on when I first started it and went out after about 3 to 5 seconds. The oil was just above the high mark in the window before I started it. Now it is about half way between the marks. It didn't make very much noise while building pressure though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am chaging mine when I hit 500 or 600. Hey mikeO, what's up man? Everything you said about the 636 was true dude, I am like in love with the bike. I love the brakes, handling, power, looks, I guess everything about it. I guess good things come for those who wait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.