Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Kawasaki oil, Kawasaki filters, any Kawasaki dealer.
Do a search next time.

BC.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I use a Kawasaki filter from the dealer and Mobil1 oil. You could also look at the Scotts filter if you are looking for a pretty trick filter.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The oil that you use depends on how many miles the bike has. Since your bike is new, you should use conventional (not synthetic) oil. I used kawasaki's oil and filter.

After around 1000 or 1500 miles you can switch to synthetic. I use Mobil1 15W50 or Mobil MX4T.

As Sh1n5 suggested, you may want to consider using a scotts oil filter (www.scottsperformance.com)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Shell Rotella T 15w-50.

Think I'm crazy? That was the great advice I got from a guy who owns his own oil company and also happens to ride a ZX12R. He's been riding for a long time and has been using that oil. It will keep your engines clean, running very smoothly, and (in his case) helped extend the necessity for valve adjustments somehow. It lubricates very well and also has very little shearing, send it when after 1000 miles and get an analysis along with a virgin sample and you'll see for yourself.

Give it a try. If you're not satisfied with it the very least that could happen is that you saved a ton of money on oil. Then you can switch back to your expensive synthetic. By the way, many additives in synthetics will actually burn off during heavy summer heat (which causes those funky smells) so be careful. It's best to use petroleum oils because it's all the protection you need and they're 100% compatible with the fossil fuels we use in our bikes.

Don't say, "If you've got an $8000 bike then why not spend the extra on oil?". Well, figure you have your bike for 45k miles - not very uncommon. Say you change your oil every 3000 miles like you probably should. That's 15 oil changes. For each of those oil changes you'll need 4 quarts of oil for the 636 ZX6R. Each quart of an oil like Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40 costs, on average, $7 a quart (with tax included) and that's a very conservative number in some places. So, you've got 15 oil changes, 60 bottles of oil, and over $420 spent on oil - add in the cost of oil filters and it'll really add up. I don't know about you guys, but if an oil gets the job done and exceeds the needs of the engine and tranny then save yourselves the pennies to buy new gear or something.

It's controversial but it's also just a thought - one that came from a guy who owns his own oil company.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went to Kragens auto parts store (same as Checkers auto parts or schucks)the other day and found a fram motorcycle filter for the ZX636 for under $6. Its part number is 6017A. I found it better than the Kawi Filter because the gasket is much thicker that you only need to hand tighten it. The Kawi filters gasket is thin, that the manual says you must torque the filter on to get a good seal. The base of the kawi filter (outer metal edge near rubber gasket) touches the metal part where it screws on too. Im thinking after several oil changes, the kawi filter would put some serious scratches on the part where the filter attaches too. The Fram filters gasket is thick enough that it doesnt touch. Just my $.02.:D

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
How good is the FRAM filter? Have you had it tested or have you cut it open yet? How much do you guys pay for the OEM filter? I changed my ZX6R's oil yesterday and the damn filter cost $14.88!!! That's for the 2003 636, by the way. What a damn rip off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow, I did read that article. Makes me wonder if I want to keep that fram filter in there. Im still not up too using Kawi's filter because of the gasket and price. Does anyone know what the part number is for the Emgo filter is?

·
Registered
36 Posts
k&n sounds like a good filter, but I was hoping to find a filter under $10 with good quality. Ive always used emgo on my hondas, just dont know what the part number is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.