Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed oil dripping from one of the hoses hanging down by the kickstand. Everyday when I come out from work, there are a couple spots the size of a nickel under the bike with oil at the end of the hose. I am currently at 350 miles. Is this normal? Oil level seems normal (in the middle of the sight glass when holding it upright.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Those hoses are for fuel overflow so it's not coming from that. Check to see if it's coming from the base of your shift lever... and no def not normal to have oil leak with that low mileage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's definitely oil dripping from one of the hoses. I'll look a little closer. Maybe the drain plug isn't tight and is running over to the hose or something. I'll pull the fairing and take a look.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
There are 2 hoses. One is fuel overflow and is black. The 2nd one is usually clear with a stopper in the end. This is the drain from the air filter. It's not visible on some bikes depending on exactly how the factory guys routed it.

A few drops of oil do sometimes get into this one as the crankcase vents into the filter housing, but the stopper should prevent any leakage.

It's also worth checking that the overflow isn't just excess lube from the chain dropping onto the front sprocket and from there to the floor just below the hoses.

Rob

Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob - As usual, you are right. The oil is dripping out of the tube with the stopper looking thing. It only seems to drip when it is parked outside in the sun during the day. When I bring it home and park it in my garage - there is no oil.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Shouldn't really have oil in there unless the bike's used hard, but it's new so maybe the rings still have a bit of bedding in to do. Over filling with oil is another common cause. You need to leave the bike for at least 10 minutes after using it before you check the oil level to allow drain down from the top end of the motor.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but just to put your mind at rest I'd mention it to the tech when the bike gets its 600 mile service.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts