Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have just recently purchased my first bike a super clean 98 ZX9R. I changed the oil myself and it has been riding great but it seems the oil level in the glass has risen. When I first changed the oil on April 20th I did my best to ensure it was slightly above the middle of the sight glass but now it seems every time I check it. The oil sight glass is full. Somehow did I over fill it. Or is the change in weather having an affect. If it is overfilled should I Crack the plug and let a little out. Our just do another oil change. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Does the oil smell like gas? Could have a leaking float needle allowing gas to get in the motor if the petcock has been left on or is also leaking itself. Other things to look at are, do you check the level the same way you checked it when you filled the oil? With the bike upright and level is the correct way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tip it back and forth when checking...the level may be literally right at the top of the glass. Not a big deal to drain a bit out. Then you can smell the oil as Killer suggested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I had a min before work to check it out. First I am not checking the oil in the same place which I can easily do when I get home if I don't work a double today. Second I never turn off the petcock. Should I be turning off everyday. I ride almost everyday. Yes I check the oil with bike vertical. However if I do lean it a little I can tell it's just at the top of the glass. And when I remove the oil cap I'm not sure if I get a hint of gas smell. I want to say mabe a little but I never smelled in there to have an idea of what used oil should smell like. Lastly should I be freaking out. Does this sound like an urgent matter. Thank you

·
Pursebully
39,221 Posts
I think you're over thinking it. With the bike on level ground, take it off the side stand, as close to vertical as you can get it. You should be able to see the top of your oil level in the window. If you can't see the top, sometimes it helps to tip the bike back onto the side stand and check again (just to verify that you are at least close to the proper level). If you still can't see the top of the oil, then you have too much in there and should drain a little out. Properly filled, you should be able to see the top of the oil with the bike level and vertical.

With regard to the petcock, you don't need to shut it off every day unless you're seeing gas on the ground under the bike. When carbs leak, they usually leak externally, not into the engine. Not saying that can't happen, but I've never heard of a high volume of fuel leak passed a carb, through a head, into a cylinder, passed the rings, and into the oil. It would likely need to sit for quite a while and it would run like crap long before you started seeing gas pool in the oil pan. Of all possible liquids getting in there, you would be more likely to find coolant in there then gas. However, it would be glaringly obvious if you had coolant leaking into your oil.

So, if the bike is running fine, don't worry about the petcock. Get back to the basics and find the top of your oil. If you can't see it with the bike vertical, tip the bike slightly toward the kickstand and continue to do so until you find the top. Once you know where the top is, drain as needed.

Reactions: GR rider

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Green I think I agree with u. I put the bike in the exact spot I filled the oil and I can see the top of the oil level at the top of the glass. I may just need to drain a little but due to the fact I got close to 3k on this oil I'm going to just change it anyway to be a head of the game. Thank u all very much for ur help.

·
Pursebully
39,221 Posts
Green I think I agree with u. I put the bike in the exact spot I filled the oil and I can see the top of the oil level at the top of the glass. I may just need to drain a little but due to the fact I got close to 3k on this oil I'm going to just change it anyway to be a head of the game. Thank u all very much for ur help.
As long as you can see the top, you're fine. Maybe a smidge overfilled but it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hmm, sounds like pretty good advice I see above. I don't have your model of MC, but on my Concours 2002, after I run it, the oil in the sight glass is at the very top and I can't see any space above. If I wait till the MC is cooled down ~ lets say the next day, there is space above oil in the sight glass. If I don't ride it in a week or so, the oil in the sight glass is visible in the sight glass, but down to the bottom 1/4 of the sight glass. What's this all mean? I don't know, except I believe in the owners manual, you're supposed to run the MC, wait at least 10 min.s and then check. In that case, it's always full. A week later, it's not. It does have some small leaks on my MC, but no spotting (fairings maybe not allowing the oil to reach the floor...)
You MC doesn't have a center stand, but when you check it, keep it as vertical as you can as you mentioned you do, and if your seeing oil in the sight glass 10-15 min.s after you run it, I wouldn't worry about it. The only ?DANGER? I think, is if you really overfilled the sump, and the crank started to beat the oil into a foam, which might could cause oil starvation if it was not sucking straight oil, but oil foam. I think you're a long way from that. Again, I don't own your model of Kawasaki.... Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess you use a paddock stand to keep it level?
However had the cousin ZZR600 for 16 years, and kept the oil in top of the window when hot. When the oiled cooled down, it crept a little lower in the spotting window.
I did a carburetor rebuild once on it, not difficult if you take your time, but needs a vacuum measure to re-tune afterwards.

If it runs smoothly, it will probably not leak gasoline into the oil as others have mentioned, as the cylinder compression rings and oil rings are intact. However close the fueling if not used for a while.

Great motorcycle! Will not beat any track records, but the ergonomics, wind protection and comfort is way better than its competitors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts