Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm feeling a little stpid right about now. This is my second night trying to get my oil filter off my 07 ZX6r. At first I thought this would be very simple. I mean you can easily see the oil filter without haveing to remove anything.

So I've opened the drain plug to drain the oil out, but how do I get the filter off. I quickly realizes I can't get a good grip with my hand. So I tried a pair of adjustable vise grips. No good. So now I've taken the fairings completely off the side and see that the whole underneath of the filter is a metal plate. So I went to the hardware shop and bought a different pair of grips that are made for oil filters. I still can't get the thing off. All I seem to be doing is scratching and denting the thing.

The manual is of no help just says to get it done by a dealer, but since my warranty is out I'm not spending $130 for an oil change.

Any advise, I'm getting frustrated and its almost the weekend :mad:

·
Registered
137 Posts
i use oil filter pliers, it chewed up the plate a bit under the filter but u just gotta keep at it, eventually it will move.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise.. I'll keep prying away tongiht.. If no success I'll stop by Canadian Tire on the way home tomorrw and give the cap/socket thing a try.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had to hammer a screwdriver through the side to get mine to budge. Just jam a lot of paper towels around it and be careful you don't drive straight through it and damage something on the other side.

And put as much oil into the new filter as possible before putting it on, these bikes have a greater tendency to trap air in the system. Make absolutely sure the oil pressure comes up when you start her up again, you might have to "burp" it if too much air is trapped in the system.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have heard alot of people using a screwdriver and a hammer to get the filter off.

·
Registered
801 Posts
ok ive posted in all the oil filter threads with people struggling to get it off. go to a auto parts store and ask for a "strap wrench" buy it for the 6 or 7 bucks and watch how easily it comes off with that. no one ever listens to good advise. wont have to tear up that plate underneath or drive a screw driver through and make a mess. trust me on this. if you try this please PM me and tell me about your experience with this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just changed my oil for the first time the other day. Many people talk about how hard it is to remove the oil filter, but it was surprisingly simple and easy for me. Just go to any auto parts store and buy an oil filter wrench for $3.99. It is worth the investment because it is cheap and it will prove to be very helpful in conducting future oil changes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
lol I had to use a hammer and screwdriver aswell, I tried to get the oil filter wrench but after like 2 minutes of that not working I said fuck it and stabbed a screwdriver thru it and twisted it off lol... Good luck, most of all have fun with it :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'mn not sure what the dealship did to the oil filter at my last oil change, because that thing is stuck on there. I've tried a pair of channel-lock grips, tried the filter wrench and nothing but some nice dents in the filter. Canadian tire doesn't seem to have a filter socket for the size of the oil fiter, and I couldn't find a filter strap at would fit on the filter either (either it was too big or too small). It's kind of frustrating. Maybe I'm try the screwdriver thing just to get this one off so I can control how tight to put the new one back on.

·
Registered
952 Posts
well if with all that it didnt come off, then I'd think twice about the screwdriver.
once u've jamed it in there, and the filter doesnt come off, big trouble.
maybe the dealer put it on crooked and [email protected] right up. or maybe u'r turning the wrong way.

·
Registered
679 Posts
well if with all that it didnt come off, then I'd think twice about the screwdriver.
once u've jamed it in there, and the filter doesnt come off, big trouble.
maybe the dealer put it on crooked and [email protected] right up. or maybe u'r turning the wrong way.

+1!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. I finally got the filter off a few days ago. Man that sucker was on tight. I finally found a sprocket at Canadian Tire that fit the oil filter. The indents made from from previous attempts with wrenchs made it a little more dificult, but it's off and the my first oil change is complete!!

Woohooo!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts