Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understand, the stock kawi filter housing requires a strap wrench to remove.

I'm about to change the oil, and want one of those K&N filters that have a nut on the top for easy removal. I'm looking around at online sites and can't seem to figure out where I can purchase the housing because this site sells the filter element only, and this site doesn't state anything about it.. but is more expensive at 5 dollars so its questionable.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I don't use a strap wrench, just a wide set of pliers like robogrip or something like that. That's really all you need, besides you don't need to be torquing the shit out of the oil filter. Hand tight and a teeny bit more with a pair of pliers or large vice grips will literally do the trick. Just get the normal filter and spend the 5 bucks on a robogrip or vice grips pliers.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I use something like this.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Wear some latex gloves, and just take it off by hand. The glove will give you extra grip, and the filter shouldn't be torqued down much.

I use Purolator Pure One (PL14612).

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
am i missing something here? if u want a k&n filter just buy one, and screw it on.
its the same filter, except its got a nut welded on.

we dont change a cartridge, its a normal spin-on filter.

oh, and FYI guys, DONT tighten it with any tool. HAND tight only.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
am i missing something here? if u want a k&n filter just buy one, and screw it on.
its the same filter, except its got a nut welded on.

we dont change a cartridge, its a normal spin-on filter.

oh, and FYI guys, DONT tighten it with any tool. HAND tight only.
Right, thats what I thought when I first learned about changing the oil on our bikes, but the comments/reviews on this page threw me off saying that whats sold is JUST the filter element, so I was confused as to where I would buy the housing.. I can't seem to find a store around my area that sells the KN204, so I have to resort to purchasing it online, and want to make sure I'm not just purchasing the filter without the housing.. if that makes any sense.

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
Right, thats what I thought when I first learned about changing the oil on our bikes, but the comments/reviews on this page threw me off saying that whats sold is JUST the filter element, so I was confused as to where I would buy the housing.. I can't seem to find a store around my area that sells the KN204, so I have to resort to purchasing it online, and want to make sure I'm not just purchasing the filter without the housing.. if that makes any sense.
Great Filter - bad description! Date: November 16, 2007
"This is the filter element only. The description here makes one believe that the housing comes with it. No 17MM anything is included. No housing - nothing but the raw element. I just thought I'd clear that up."
they must be confused. the 250 ninja takes a drop in cartridge like that. the 636..takes a spin-on filter, like pictured.

buy from a different site if you're concerned. or email THEM asking wtf is up. they need to remove, or edit that review...its going to cause a loss in sales.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they must be confused. the 250 ninja takes a drop in cartridge like that. the 636..takes a spin-on filter, like pictured.

buy from a different site if you're concerned. or email THEM asking wtf is up. they need to remove, or edit that review...its going to cause a loss in sales.
I agree. I'm gonna chance it and purchase it from them cause I have a whole list of stuff I need to get there anyway. The 250 owner probably thought all the filters sold there were identical to his. Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
If its too tight use a screwdriver. I couldn't get mine off with gloves and the tools I had were for larger filters. So I just hammered a screwdriver in it and did a half turn. Had to do this three times before it came loose. Kawasaki did the last oil change after the break in(previous owner). Didn't really need it as it only had 2k miles on the bike and I assume break-in service is 600 or so. On a side note I used Purolater Pure One(gold flake for grip) PL14612 and Kawasaki Premium Engine Oil 10W-40(apparently not called KawaChem anymore). Also hand tightened and needed to be burped.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yeah, I would have rather gotten the tool first ;)

BTW, the K&N is good w/ that nut but it's easily stripped.
Did that affect your oil pressure? I was thinking about running that setup but....
Howd you end up getting it off after making that hole?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
... I just hammered a screwdriver in it and did a half turn. Had to do this three times before it came loose. Kawasaki did the last oil change after the break in...
just like that, except the dealer tightened it really really tight

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've read somewhere that the torque specs aren't that high, its crazy how much effort some of us are putting in to remove the filter.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that may be true but what's to stop a dealer from over tightening it?
That, my friend.. is why I/we choose to learn how to change the oil myself/ourselves.

and they use the spare time during your "oil change" to see how tight they can torque your oil filter. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts