Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning of the season I had dropped off my bike at a local shop to change oil, filter and tighten the chain since I didn't have much time for this. Everything worked fine.

Recently I went to change Oil and Filter and noticed that I was running the KN303 filter while the charts say that the correct filter is KN240. After comparing then side by side, I noticed that the filter that the shop put on (KN303) was longer than the one K&N actually has on their chart as the correct filter.

Would there be any problems since I was running this filter the entire time?

That's all for my BIG question.

Thanks....

ILYA

·
Registered
8 Posts
there should be no problem running that filter as the oil will still be circulating fine as its the same length as the OE filter. the KN240 filter is much shorter than a stock filter which is why people with after market exhausts choose them for clearance,

·
Registered
683 Posts
The longer filters gets pretty close to the radiator hose for some peoples' liking. I ran a long one after the first oil change to further help clean out the engine after break-in. After that I just ran the stock length considering the frequent intervals I change the oil.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If anything it should provide more protection. Longer media and more area to filter out partials out of the oil is beneficial. Only thing is you will need more oil.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
yeah, what all said was true. A longer filter will provide more media, which means better filtration. However, if the filter is too long, it can rub against the radiator hose (even a little touching is bad)... which will eventually wear through the radiator hose.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
oil filter?? oh i just capped that off w/ some jbweld :D lol j/k no don't worry much about that as long as your not rubbing on the hose you'll be fine, also the purolator pure one filter is the top rated filter these days & they're cheaper than both stock & the k&n, i forget the number but its listed somewhere in these threads

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
it's PL14612. It's the same code for the higher end one (yellow grip coating with a better medium inside) and the regular one (blue smooth coating)

PureAlator FTMFW!!!!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
yeah, what all said was true. A longer filter will provide more media, which means better filtration. However, if the filter is too long, it can rub against the radiator hose (even a little touching is bad)... which will eventually wear through the radiator hose.
:Laughing Sign: I think we covered the longer filter wearing a hole in the rad hose myth a little while back. Total BS. I have been running a Mobil 1 M1-110 filter which is longer than stock since the first oil change. It will NOT wear a hole in the hose, it won't melt it or do anything bad. The hose also has more than enough play in it to move it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it either way. Maybe if you are running a Fram filter with the grippy stuff on it it could damage the hose but most filters out there for these bikes don't have that gimmicky crap on it any how.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.