Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here I am 4 hours later FINALLY done with the oil change. everything went smooth except for the filter. tried it by hand with the lower fairings on - no luck. ran to the store and bought one of those oil filter wrenches that attach to a 3/8 socket - no luck, the filter was on so damn tight that the wrench would pop out and back down every time I turned it. finally removed the lower fairings to fully expose the filter and I tried the brute strength methos again - NOPE, this thing would not budge. I used so much force that I pulled a muscle and both my palms are sore. So determined to finish it, ran back to the store and bought one of those metal strap-on type wrenches. Tried it on the filter, didnt budge again. I thought I was going to break the damn thing because I was pulling up on it so hard. So finally I said "fuck it, if it breaks ill just get a new one tomorrow". used what strength that I had left and just went to town. FINALLY the filter broke loose! I shouldve started with this thing in the beginning.

what pisses me off is how tight the filter was on there. Ive done plenty of oil changes on cars and some were damn tight, but nothing has ever compared to the one on my bike (brand new, 400 miles on her)

Im just glad its done, and including the parts I bought the oil change only cost me about $25 :)

also here are the products I used:

CHEVRON DELO 15W40 - 8.49 for a gallon
Purolater 14610 - $3.50. the 14610 is the taller filter compared to the 14612.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i always use those oil filter wrenches that clamps and indents into the oil filter. they look like huge skinny pliers. if you don't have one, using a hammer and punching a screwdriver though the middle of the oil filter always work. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by AzntaggeR
i always use those oil filter wrenches that clamps and indents into the oil filter. they look like huge skinny pliers. if you don't have one, using a hammer and punching a screwdriver though the middle of the oil filter always work. :)
+1 with the screwdriver method. i think i had to do that on my first oil change. now i just get k&n filters with the 17mm nut on it to make it easier.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I used a huge plastic socket looking one that fits ver the end and uses a 3/8ths ratchet. And I use K&N filters now so its 17mm socket on the nut on the end which is same size as the drain plug! btw motorcycle oil filters arent hand tight like car ones, its 25 ft/lbs if I remember right its more than the drain plug!

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Or for stubborn ones like this use a chisel and tap at crimped portion of the filter in the direction you want to go.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally posted by jerzefigga
so here I am 4 hours later FINALLY done with the oil change. everything went smooth except for the filter. tried it by hand with the lower fairings on - no luck. ran to the store and bought one of those oil filter wrenches that attach to a 3/8 socket - no luck, the filter was on so damn tight that the wrench would pop out and back down every time I turned it. finally removed the lower fairings to fully expose the filter and I tried the brute strength methos again - NOPE, this thing would not budge. I used so much force that I pulled a muscle and both my palms are sore. So determined to finish it, ran back to the store and bought one of those metal strap-on type wrenches. Tried it on the filter, didnt budge again. I thought I was going to break the damn thing because I was pulling up on it so hard. So finally I said "fuck it, if it breaks ill just get a new one tomorrow". used what strength that I had left and just went to town. FINALLY the filter broke loose! I shouldve started with this thing in the beginning.

what pisses me off is how tight the filter was on there. Ive done plenty of oil changes on cars and some were damn tight, but nothing has ever compared to the one on my bike (brand new, 400 miles on her)
Exact same story for me. Everything exactly... Next couple have been a hell of a lot easier though.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
This is a re-post of my episode:
Well I had the dealer do the 600 mile service, just to be safe with warranty stuff. Changed the oil yesterday @3k myself. Tried the usual hand strength to get the factory filter off. 9/10 times I can do it. Not this time. Went to the trusty filter wrench.....nope. At this point I'm a little pissed. I do the poke-a-screw-driver thing to it, and start to twist. Nope...the screw driver just tears an oblong hole in the filter. I try vise grips and all they do is slip along the filter body. Now I'm really pissed, and beers are neccessary to calm down. I'm thinkin....what ass-f*$ck at the dealership put this thing on so tight? Then I think maybe they didn't change it at all. Anyway, I go back to the garage with a little buzz, and use a hammer and punch on the hole created by the screwdriver and wahhhlahhh!...it budged about 1/4 ". So I put the filter wrench on it and it still wouldn't move, and believe me I'm no weakling. I use the punch again and finally get the thing off. Went with the purolator long version and Amsoil. Also I didn't fill the oil up so FU&*ING high like they did at the dealer...just enough to go between the high/low lines. AND, casting aside the placebo effect, the bike does seem to have a little more pep and it runs a little stronger and cooler, esp in this heat wave. Anyway, I'm kinda suspicious if they ever changed my filter at the 600 mile service....I know that makes no sense but I can't imagine any decent mechanic putting that thing on so tight. I've heard of them being on tight from the factory though.
Report this post to a moderat

·
Registered
443 Posts
someone said they used a leather belt. im gonna try that next.

when i was taking off the oil drain plug i didnt realize i was turning it the wrong way... it's upside down! haha. i was amazed i didn't screw up the threads on the oil pan thingie.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i tried the screw driver method, it just spewed oil everywhere making the install all the more difficult. im glad I did it myself. Now I know what to do and will take me 30min the next time I have to change the oil. my palms are bruised and my forearms are sore but ah well, it was a good learning experience.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Originally posted by AzntaggeR
screw driver does not alwase work. i tore an oil filter in half doing that once.

as for the piece that conects to a 3/8th ratchet, i tap them on with a screwdriver and a hammer.

future solution. when YOU do the oil, (not the bike shop). dont tighten them so damn tight. i dont know why the shops tighten them like that. they think they are going to fall off or somthing, but hand tight, then just a little more with a wrench is good. also put a little oil on the rubber o-ring and it will come off much easier next time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bike shops seem to have this thing about tightening the filters as hard as they can, I think its to get us to keep going back as we have problems getting them off. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
if you use the screwdriver method, don't try to pry the screwdriver with your hand, it will just tear the filter. I think the easiest way is to poke it through, then take a hammer do some quick, but powerful taps on it to jar it loose. just a tip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.