Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, it seems like I always ask stupid questions.
What are the other brands for oil filter beside FRAM?
What's the best among them?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just got back from the dealer. Got the stuff for my winterization oil change. Is the OEM filter a "HIFLOFILTRO" model HF303 this thing is made in England. They charged me $8.50 for the filter and 13.99 for a gallon container of "MAXIMA" 10w-40 motorcycle oil.

total bend me over price of $24.12 from now on i will be shopping ronayres.com, unless anyone knows of a different or better way.

ps i called the local autoparts store...they did stock the same size oil filter for 9 bucks, so its not like i would be saving any if i got it from there.

-happy haloween

brian

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The original equipment filter is made by Toyo Roki in Japan. You can get a filter from Auto Zone made by STP for about $5. Any good automotive oil will work fine that meets the viscosity requirements and will cost 1/2 to 1/4 as much.

·
Registered
223 Posts
swjohnsey, you have a '95 right? do you happen to know the part number for that stp filter? I'm definately going to get away from Fram after reading that article you posted.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The OEM filter varies - all the Kawasaki shops here will tell you its the FRAM filters. My orginal filter was a FRAM, I haven't had any problems

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've used 6-7 Fram filters already on my six and no problems. What makes you think this guy knows what he's talking about? BS, everyone bitches about one thing or another.

My mom actually works at Honeywell/Fram filters. I'm not sure if they make this filter at the plant but I will show her the article and get her feedback.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't think the oem filter varies. It will come in a Kawasaki box with a Kawasaki part number. I know a number of shops that do not use oem filters because aftermarket filters are cheaper. I can't remember what the STP number is offhand. I never used one. I have, however, used the Fram with no obvious problems. That number is 6017 I think and it is available at Walmart. I am now using the oem filters that I get from ronayers.com for about the same price as an aftermarket filter. I buy several at a time, usually with an order for other parts so the shipping doesn't eat me up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't needed to change the oil on my bike seeing it only has 330 miles, but when I do, it will be OEM. For the money, stick w/ OEM filters, they are made w/ metals and not cardboards, thats probably the biggest difference. That and the possibility of it having an anti drain back valve. Very important at start up for building quick oil pressure. I see no reason to use Fram's if you have access to a local dealer. Just my $.02.
- JV

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just bought the filter for the winterization oil change from the dealer. It's only $12 (CDN.. bout 7 US). It is made by Toyo Roki, and the box says Kawasaki , part No. 16097-1072 . IMHO, if a Kawi dealer tells you that FRAM is the OEM filter, I'd walk away from them forever.. God knows what more serious bullshit they are trying to pull on more serious matters. Wouldn't trust them with my bike.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Say, what year do you have. I have a '95 and that is the filter that fits mine. The '98 and newer are supposed to take #16097-1070. They cost a little more but are supposed to have some sort of pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My current filter is a Chrome EMGO.
Can't say anything about the quality except it looks nice.
After reading that article about the Fram, I'm pretty happy with the EMGO.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey swjohnsey. I have an '02.. weird. I went to the dealer and that's what the guy sold me...

hmm.. will call them to make sure there wasn't a mixup.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I never knew there were so many different Kawasaki filters 'til I started poking around. The 16097-1063 that fits the '95-'97 ZX-6R and maybe others has recently been superceeded with 16097-1072. Maybe he is just trying to get rid of old stock. I know the 1072 and 1063 are slightly differenct in length and they look different inside. I'm not sure what the 1070 looks like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.