Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Although the Fram is tempting because of the price (and availability at many auto parts stores), I've heard nothing but BAD stories of using Fram motorcycle filters. It's surprising because their automotive filters are pretty good. I take any story with a grain of salt, but use them at your own risk.

Red
AMA #439394

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You forgot the most important one:

Kawasaki # for '95-'97 ZX-6R

16097-1072 - - - $5.64

from ronayers.com

There is a $7.00 shipping charge but no tax so you have to order them several at a time to come out.

One thing that bothers me about aftermarket filters is that they will use one filter that crosses to several different Kawasaki numbers. The '95-'97 uses a different fillter than the '98-'02. Do most of those numbers fit both?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was looking for the exact filter for my '97 6R and came across this list. Figure'd I post it here.
Peter

AC Delco PF2135 about $10.
AMSOil SMF103, about $9.
FRAM PH6017A about $7. this is the one specified here!
Honda 15410-MCJ-000, about $12.
K&N KN-204, about $13. Has a metric nut on the end for easy removal.
NAPA Gold 1358, Carquest 85358, WIX 51358 about $7 to $8.
Purolator Motorcycle ML16817 about $6.
STP SMO 07, about $7.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Originally posted by Red6R

Although the Fram is tempting because of the price (and availability at many auto parts stores), I've heard nothing but BAD stories of using Fram motorcycle filters. It's surprising because their automotive filters are pretty good. I take any story with a grain of salt, but use them at your own risk.

Red
AMA #439394
I purchased a FRAM PH6017A for my first oil change and recently found out that it might be a piece of crap. I did some digging around and found an article to avoid it- www.twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters/fram.shtml . Does anyone have any more info on this? I guess I'm stuck w/ using purchasing one from Kawi. :(

------

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling." -Margaret Lee Runbeck
------------
Red 03 ZX6R

·
Registered
192 Posts
Originally posted by micty

Oh %@#[email protected])^%%[email protected] I just changed oil last Saturday. I hope it didn't do anything bad to my engine.
I changed my filter 1000 miles ago and haven't noticed any engine problems. W/ that said I am going to my Kawi dealer when they open tomorrow and speak to them. I'll probably get a new filter from them.

------

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling." -Margaret Lee Runbeck
------------
Red 03 ZX6R

·
Registered
242 Posts
DON'T USE CAR FILTERS!!! Just because they fit does not mean that they will work properly on your bike! Whoever made that website does not know enough about oil filters to be publishing his own researched information. Oil filters open up and close a bit at certain points to allow the correct amount of oil to be circulating, and this can be quite different between a car and a motorcycle. So just because it fits on your bike does not mean that you can use it with impunity! So check to make sure that the thing is designed for your bike.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i got the scotts billet re-useable oil filter, it was like 94 bux but its sweet. You take it off and clean it with carb cleaner and put it back on, plus it filters smaller particles.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Originally posted by mdsuave13

i got the scotts billet re-useable oil filter, it was like 94 bux but its sweet. You take it off and clean it with carb cleaner and put it back on, plus it filters smaller particles.
I saw that thing too. SWEET!! But what happens if something happens to the filter? Is there some sort of warr. against damage??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to bring up old posts, but I read the article on using car filters in motorcycles and he addresses lumine concern, "These valves are very low-precision devices, and their pop- off values are different from each other even in identical filters of the same brand. I have spoken with engineers (not techs) at AMS, Purolator, Mobil, and Champion, and not one of them knows of a single reason why you can't use a car filter on a motorcycle. In fact, not one of them could quote me a single pop-off valve pressure rating off the tops of their heads. They did not consider this an interesting or important topic until I brought it up. "

-Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.