Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought an 07' ZX6R with 2,500 miles on it and was trying to guess the oil change history. I called the original dealer that said it had not been changed there at least, and I cannot locate the original owner. BUT...

When looking through the glass oil level indicator, I notice that the level is in between the 2 lines when the bike is ON the kickstand. When I stand it upright, the level is way over and the entire glass view is full of oil.

Is it safe for me to assume that the oil has been changed AT LEAST once, since there is no way that the bike left the factory with too much oil in it???

:confused:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The book says to change it at 600 mi, and then again every 3000. So at a minimum it should have been changed once already. Really no way to know though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
^^^ yep.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
just change it for that peace of mind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the oil level should be in the middle of the oil window WHEN THE BIKE IS UP RIGHT...if the oil level is in the middle when its on the kickstand then it's wayyy over filled...i assumed someone did change the oil but didnt do it properly...as everyone said, just change the oil, better safe than sorry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, im changing it anway, but I still want to know if you guys think its possible that it left the factory that way, or if the oil was changed...

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I change the oil on my '07 I notice that the level is between the lines (when upright adding 4 quarts) after I start it it up and let it run for a minute. The following day however, before I start it the oil is half-way between the lines when on the kick-stand. Which translates to about a 1/2 a quart too full.

I think that it takes a while for the oil to settle to get an accurate reading on this particular bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I change the oil on my '07 I notice that the level is between the lines (when upright adding 4 quarts) after I start it it up and let it run for a minute. The following day however, before I start it the oil is half-way between the lines when on the kick-stand. Which translates to about a 1/2 a quart too full.

I think that it takes a while for the oil to settle to get an accurate reading on this particular bike.
3 quarts is all u need. atleast thats how much i need to put in to have the oil level to be in the middle of the window when the bike is upright

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
3 quarts is all u need. atleast thats how much i need to put in to have the oil level to be in the middle of the window when the bike is upright
I believe its 3.25-3.5 . Guy at the shop told me he had one & it took him a bit more than 3 quarts to get it to the proper level. I'm still having a bit of trouble learning how to read mine properly, but i figure a lil too much oil is better than not enough..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe its 3.25-3.5 . Guy at the shop told me he had one & it took him a bit more than 3 quarts to get it to the proper level. I'm still having a bit of trouble learning how to read mine properly, but i figure a lil too much oil is better than not enough..
yea its give or take 3 quarts...but i def know its not 4

·
Registered
120 Posts
The oil is put in by the dealor not the factory, and there have been cases where the bikes are overfilled from the dealoships, but if that's the cas then that means the oil needs to be changed now anyway. I would say that one has been done because the bike does have an overflow, any extra oil will actually be pushed out through the air box and if it was overfilled enough to still be that high with 2500 miles there would have been oil sprayed down the side of the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts