Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Ninja 250 has a bad oil leak from the the left side stator wires. The oil drips out of the wires while running or stopped. I pulled off the cover and put on a new gasket and cleaned and sealed up the wire area with black RTV silicone (at least I thought I did). It still leaks the same. Could it be a crank seal on the stator side? I am not sure how much oil is supposed to be in the stator area. Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried clear silicone sealant rather than black RTV silicone gasket maker and I am letting it dry a day before I fill it with oil. This time I cleaned off all of the prior silicone off the rubber grommet, and tried to be very thorough in cleaning and applying the silicone. I did realize that the stator/alternator area is supposed to have oil in it.

· Registered
1 Posts
I tried clear silicone sealant rather than black RTV silicone gasket maker and I am letting it dry a day before I fill it with oil. This time I cleaned off all of the prior silicone off the rubber grommet, and tried to be very thorough in cleaning and applying the silicone. I did realize that the stator/alternator area is supposed to have oil in it.
How did that work out for you I'm having the same problem on my 08

· Registered
256 Posts
Want to permanently stop the wicking action? Rewire the stator output wires using non-insulated butt connectors soldered on the ends to prevent any capillary action. See reference pic #1 of my (2 wire) stator. I also chose to increase the wire size to 12AWG from the tiny, undersized yellow wire (see pic #2)
12-13 years onward....no issues, wicking or charging (using a Mosfet regulator)

Body jewelry Jewellery Idiophone Circle Bracelet

Automotive tire Terrestrial plant Electrical wiring Cable Grass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts