Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 zx6r about 6700 miles. I have been noticing some small amounts of oil that has been coming out of the opening in the lower fairing between the radiator and the engine. Upon further investigation i see that it is coming from behind the plastic shield above the exhaust. I called a dealer and asked what the possibilities are. He said it could be because the oil is over filled, so it is forcing itself out, and said that i shouldn't worry about it just watch the oil levels.

Does that seem like a possibility, and if so should i worry about the gasket being ruined in the process of the oil leaking out?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My '07 with 5k miles is leaking from that same spot and mine already had the work done (although in a different state). My local dealer suggested that I take it up with that dealer (In North Carolina, even though I'm in Pennsylvania) or call Kawasaki. Kawasaki wasn't much help since it's out of warranty, although it is a recognized problem

Now that it's out of warranty no one wants to take care of it, the closest/local dealer (which is 40mins away) wants ~$150 just to remove the fairings for a diagnosis :mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i have been reading up on the forum and i have gathered that Kawasaki has issued a recall with the service bulletin number MC08-16 for "Cylinder Head Cover Gasket Kit". The ones who had been posting it says that their dealers have been replacing them no problem.

I went to the Kawi web site and looked up the recall information on my bike and it says that there are no outstanding recalls on my bike. I guess i will have to call several dealers (not the dumbass that said it would be no problem) tomorrow and ask what they have done about the problem before.

·
Registered
67 Posts
head gasket !

its a recal , any kawi dealer should do it no questions asked, i did it myself cuz i already had the bike apart to reinforce the motor mounts and many other things!!

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
I did mine myself this past weekend.

You do the whole job from up top, I didn't even need to remove any bodywork, just pull the tank, air intake, throttle bodies, head cover.

Replace the gasket, the three piece round plugs, and the bolt rubber washers, use Kawi bond on the 4 recesses and put it all back together.

All the parts will cost you about $40- but you can just get them for free from the dealer due to the recall.

I did the whole job in about 1 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
head gasket !

its a recal , any kawi dealer should do it no questions asked, i did it myself cuz i already had the bike apart to reinforce the motor mounts and many other things!!
its a valve cover gasket, not a head gasket. a head gasket would be awful!

·
Registered
885 Posts
its a valve cover gasket, not a head gasket. a head gasket would be awful!
Well technically Kawasaki calls it the Cylinder head cover gasket

Cylinder Head Cover Removal •Remove:
Fuel Tank (see Fuel Tank Removal in the Fuel System
(DFI) chapter)
Air Cleaner Housing (see Air Cleaner Housing Removal
in the Fuel System (DFI) chapter)
Air Switching Valve (see Air Switching Valve Removal)
Throttle Body Assy (see Throttle Body Assy Removal in
the Fuel System (DFI) chapter)
Stick Coils (see Stick Coil Removal in the Electrical System
chapter)

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
Well technically Kawasaki calls it the Cylinder head cover gasket

Cylinder Head Cover Removal •Remove:
Fuel Tank (see Fuel Tank Removal in the Fuel System
(DFI) chapter)
Air Cleaner Housing (see Air Cleaner Housing Removal
in the Fuel System (DFI) chapter)
Air Switching Valve (see Air Switching Valve Removal)
Throttle Body Assy (see Throttle Body Assy Removal in
the Fuel System (DFI) chapter)
Stick Coils (see Stick Coil Removal in the Electrical System
chapter)

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have the actual "authorized repair" publication from kawi on my other computer, i'll post it up in a little while if you haven't found it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
its a valve cover gasket. i just had mine done for free with no warranty by the kawi dealer. i dont know why they call it the cylinder head gasket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts