Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled the filter before I screwed it on and everything. (engine off) I tried unscrewing it a little and putting it back on but that didn't help. Should I do the same with the engine on?
Oil light wasn't on before oil change FYI
03 636.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thinking. I had to loosen the oil filter while the bike was running... a few times did the trick.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone reading you only have to loosen it until oil starts pouring out then tighten it right back up. Don't let it run too long without the oil filter tight... Obviously

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Funny I've done 100's of oil changes on different bikes and have never done this. I even had an 03 ZX6RR and never had to do anything like this. I have always filled the new filter with new oil all the way to the top.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No but they just baffle me!

I think it wouldn't be a problem if you did it right. Again I've never experienced this and I've done 100's of oil changes.

:thumbup:
I thought I "did it right". Filled the oil filter to the top... Let it soak in and put a little more in. Dumped some oil in the bike, put the filter on. Made sure everything was tight and started it... And to my surprise there my oil light was... Laughing in my face. Lol. But all is good now. Thank god.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I thought I "did it right". Filled the oil filter to the top... Let it soak in and put a little more in. Dumped some oil in the bike, put the filter on. Made sure everything was tight and started it... And to my surprise there my oil light was... Laughing in my face. Lol. But all is good now. Thank god.
LOL if it works it works!

:D

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
No but they just baffle me!

I think it wouldn't be a problem if you did it right. Again I've never experienced this and I've done 100's of oil changes.

:thumbup:
You have said this before and it's some what puzzling to me, how difficult is an oil change? lol

I suspect the problem is a leak some where between the pickup and the pump, this isn't a problem once the system is primed but when it isn't primed the leak will suck air and not pick the oil up from the pan.

I can actually repeat the results pretty easily.

My stunt bike is an 03 636, and because of the nature of stunt riding it often times gets dropped, if I crash on the right side or even just lay the bike on the right side and allow it to stay in that position long enough, all the oil will drain out of the pump and then will not prime.

The only way to get the oil pressure back is to either lay the bike on it's left side to fill the pump back up or to loosen the filter and burp it.

I don't normally tell people to lay their bike over because most don't have a crash cage like a stunt bike does, in my case, when I change the oil, I burp the system, if I crash on the right I simply lay the bike on it's left side for a few seconds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive experienced this on my 09 zx-10 also. Air pocket keeps the oil pump from priming, just loosen the oil filter and all is restored. At first i thought my oil sensor had crapped out so I shut it off and went to town and got a car oil pressure gauge and hooked it up. After burping, it started reading immediately. Wished I had made a neat way to keep my mechanical oil gauge mounted for good.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I did an oil change today on my 2006 ZX6R and before installing the new oil filter I fill it up as much as I can with new oil. Then I install the oil filter and I finish filling with new oil.

No "burping" and no oil light.

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I did an oil change today on my 2006 ZX6R and before installing the new oil filter I fill it up as much as I can with new oil. Then I install the oil filter and I finish filling with new oil.

No "burping" and no oil light.

I dont know why you have such a problem understanding the fact that all bikes are not created equal..lol The world is not black and white, there are shades of gray. No one is saying "ALL'' zx6's have this problem, but some do.

You act like this only happens to people who do not fill their filter, that is not the case.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I dont know why you have such a problem understanding the fact that all bikes are not created equal..lol The world is not black and white, there are shades of gray. No one is saying "ALL'' zx6's have this problem, but some do.

You act like this only happens to people who do not fill their filter, that is not the case.
I've had quite of few motorcycles in my life mostly Sportbikes, but some Cruisers, and some touring bikes, etc. the last two were Super Sport bikes a 2003 ZX6RR and my current 2006 ZX6R and I have never ever in my 33 years of riding and performing oil changes had to "BURP" a motorcycle!! Or a car for that matter and I do all my own oil changes.

So YES I'm confused :headscratch:

If I ever have to "BURP" a motorcycle you will be the first one I to know! :D

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I've had quite of few motorcycles in my life mostly Sportbikes, but some Cruisers, and some touring bikes, etc. the last two were Super Sport bikes a 2003 ZX6RR and my current 2006 ZX6R and I have never ever in my 33 years of riding and performing oil changes had to "BURP" a motorcycle!! Or a car for that matter and I do all my own oil changes.

So YES I'm confused :headscratch:

If I ever have to "BURP" a motorcycle you will be the first one I to know! :D
So because your 2 zx6's havent had the problem then all the people who have must be doing something wrong? That's a pretty small focus group that you are basing your opinion on.

I was a service writer at a muti brand bike dealership and I can tell you we had to burp quite a few zx6's over the years.

Like I mentioned before, there are pages of threads with people having this problem and my own personal bike does it, so I am positive it isn't always user error..

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
So because your 2 zx6's havent had the problem then all the people who have must be doing something wrong? That's a pretty small focus group that you are basing your opinion on.

I was a service writer at a muti brand bike dealership and I can tell you we had to burp quite a few zx6's over the years.

Like I mentioned before, there are pages of threads with people having this problem and my own personal bike does it, so I am positive it isn't always user error..
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Of the 100 or so oil changes ill do this summer I may have to burp 2 of them. I've had more new bikes that just came out of the crates that I had to burpp then oil changes. It's just another dead horse that gets beat. And this is after filling them on the changes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I've had to burp my filter once or twice and I prime the filter before I put it on. Shit happens I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts