Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was working fine. The engine was running so I guess the oil level was showing a little lower than normal. So I turned it off and added oil. I ended up overfilling like a 1/4 inch above the top mark. I ran it like that for like a minute before noticing. The light was still fine then. So I turned it off and took out the oil filter to drain some oil. I jacked the rear up so enough drained. I was just over the full notch but I thought it would be fine since the oil drained out of the filter too. So I put it back and started it. I don't know if the light was on instantly or not but a few minutes later I noticed the light was on so I turned it off. I checked the level and it was fine.

What I've done so far:

- started the engine then unscrewed the filter a little to burp it.
- got a new oil filter
- drained all the oil and put it back
- checked the oil pressure sensor and all the connections seem good.

still the light stays on. I tired to run it for a few minutes but I don't want to do more just in case something happens.

What else can I try? The only other problem I can think of is the filter. It's a cheap Fram one(both new and old). I've searched and saw those weren't great for pressure. I go get a different brand tomorrow if nothing changes.

I'm sure it has something to do with me overfilling and then draining out the filter place. So any other ideas on how to get that air out or any other ideas at all? The bike does run fine with no weird noises or anything

· Registered
28,267 Posts
hook a mechanical gauge up to the bike in place of the sensor. start it. look for pressure within 3 seconds. if you don't see it, remove the gauge end, leave the hose connected, pull the plug coil connectors ( or injectors) crank it til oil comes out, burp the filter again without the bike starting and running, then crank it with the gauge hooked up one more time. shouls see pressure on cranking. if not, you'll probably wanna drop the pan to see wtf is going on. if you DO get pressure, pop the sensor back in, plug in the coils or injectors ( or undo whatever you did to keep the bike from starting) and go for a ride.
keep an eye on it and stick close for a while til it gets to temp. if it goes to that point during riding without a light coming on, you're money then.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I didn't get a chance to get a gauge yet. But I did pull the sensor and tested it. The sensor works fine. I also cranked the bike for like 10 seconds at a time and oil wouldn't come out of the hole so I'm gonna have to drop the oil pan a see what's up.

I was thinking that maybe I should first try a different brand filter? I read a ton of crap about Fram. But i'm not sure because it was working fine before with Fram..

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still didn't want to drop the oil pan so I drained the oil and took the oil pump off. everything was good. reinstalled it and filled back up with oil. started it up and still the light is on. so i guess I will have to drop the oil pan to see what could be the problem

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FIXED IT!!! Ok so my problem was I wasn't burping it enough. Everywhere online it always said unscrew the filter just a bit until it barely starts pouring. That seems to work most of the time. Then I found a post where a guy was running thick oil (20w-50) like me. He had to really unscrew until it started to pour. I did that and it really dumped and I saw huge bubbles. I turned it off instantly and screwed it tight again. Everything is good now.

So just in case you're having trouble burping, you can always unscrew more and let it pour. I had about have a quart pour out before the bubbles came. Just make sure you don't drain too much and seize.

· Registered
2 Posts
FIXED IT!!! Ok so my problem was I wasn't burping it enough. Everywhere online it always said unscrew the filter just a bit until it barely starts pouring. That seems to work most of the time. Then I found a post where a guy was running thick oil (20w-50) like me. He had to really unscrew until it started to pour. I did that and it really dumped and I saw huge bubbles. I turned it off instantly and screwed it tight again. Everything is good now.

So just in case you're having trouble burping, you can always unscrew more and let it pour. I had about have a quart pour out before the bubbles came. Just make sure you don't drain too much and seize.
I know this is an older thread but I had the exact same issue. Loosened the filter just so the gasket wasn't touching the base, started the bike and after about half a quart it burped out the air and pressure returned to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.